Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adjusting to slower USPS mail delivery

I have been paying bills online, some directly, some through the bank’s bill pay, for several years now. I only write 1 check a month and it gets hand delivered, though I have just learned of a way to pay that electronically as well. Yay!

I have had quite a number of important things never reach me in the mail over the last couple of years, most notably W-2s, and 1099s, but also the pink slip from DMV when I paid off my car, and a $100. Voucher won in a raffle. I get everything possible electronically, but there are still a few things that need to come in the mail. I keep a list of things I’m expecting, the postmaster here knows me by name now, because every time something disappears in the mail, I go check with them before I file the complaint, i.e. I give them a chance to find anything they have lost and laying around. (Was only fruitful once, but, hey, It was worth my time)

Right now, I’m getting tons of election flyers - already voted- and all the drama of wanting me to change my Medicare/health coverage. I will be very glad when the season for each is over!

Odd that it should come up. I mailed a handful of common household bills a while back in what I thought was ample time. The next billing cycle a couple of them had a carryover balance that I had paid. There was not a penalty and it worked out fine. Maybe I was just slow in paying. What I have noticed is the turn around time on my Netflix DVDs is at least a day and maybe two days slower. I suppose it's possible that it's Netflix and not the post office.

Yppej
    It is 1 or 2 days slower, not a big difference. In one case I found out people at the lockbox were sitting on mail for several days due to a fear of corona. It was not the USPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    What I have noticed is the turn around time on my Netflix DVDs is at least a day and maybe two days slower. I suppose it's possible that it's Netflix and not the post office.
    Wow. That’s old school! Do you also get movies from the one remaining blockbuster?

We get other peoples mail a few times each week. Not people with our address on the mail, but people with a difference address on the envelope. It happens sometimes daily. If it’s junk mail we reticle it. If it looks important we give it back to the mail carrier when we see them again. They never seem concerned. Even when we give it to the same mail carrier many times. We have several mail carriers. It doesn’t seem like there is one assigned one to our route. Some days no one goes by. Some days we see 2-3 different carriers go down our street about an hour apart. Some days we get more than one delivery from different carriers.

It makes me wonder what we are not getting that belongs to us?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Wow. That’s old school! Do you also get movies from the one remaining blockbuster?
    Netflix has a way of keeping a lot of the higher quality movies and series on DVD, like Game of Thrones and The Wire for example,. I do stream some excellent B horror movies on Netflix, also. My way of getting around cable, I guess. I consider cable old school.

Netflix has a way of keeping a lot of the higher quality movies and series on DVD, like Game of Thrones and The Wire for example,. I do stream some excellent B horror movies on Netflix, also. My way of getting around cable, I guess. I consider cable old school.
    You kids you! I consider 3 VHF and maybe 1 UHF stations brought in by a state of the art outside antenna (which had to be repositioned for at least 2 of those stations) old school. In my mind, cable's still new.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Cable IS old school.

hey Roger, it’s interesting that Netflix is still dealing in DVDs. I wondered that recently if they were still mailing them out.

I watched many of the early classic cable shows like the Sopranos, the wire, the shield, on DVD. That’s when everyone else had cable or were streaming but I was late to that game.

Now there’s so much content to stream, It’s crazy. But it’s also hard to pick out the really good shows.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    hey Roger, it’s interesting that Netflix is still dealing in DVDs. I wondered that recently if they were still mailing them out.
    They are, but they'd rather not (far more expensive than streaming) so they're trying to minimize that part of the business. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the difference between what's available on DVD and on streaming or if the delays in getting DVDs to customers is part of that "strategery".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Are they still charging more for people to have both the dvd and steaming service?

Thread Information