Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DNA tests

Yup - and this is why I really have no desire to have my DNA tested. I come from an very large family and, while some of the relationships may have started out based on blood, they are ALL now based on the heart. You can't pick and choose your DNA, but you can pick and choose your family.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

IL, you now have the advantage of knowing your DNA. You have the adventure of considering a mystery that cannot harm you in any way which is kind of fun as a conversation piece which can be shared causing no harm to anyone.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    IL, you now have the advantage of knowing your DNA. You have the adventure of considering a mystery that cannot harm you in any way which is kind of fun as a conversation piece which can be shared causing no harm to anyone.
    I think I got stuck on how this Brian guy looks like my dad because I miss my dad. I suppose he looks like all of my uncles. But I’ll spend the next few months surveying cousins who are interested in the stuff to see if they think he looks more like my dad than any of our other uncles.

I had my oldest son with my first husband who was extremely good looking. He went on to have 5 more kids with 3 other wives and everyone of those kids look like him. Not one looks like their mom. You can tell all 6 are related. Not only that but one of the girls and my son could be twins. All 6 kids are gorgeous. It’s funny but I found out he was dead when I was going to my 35th high school reunion and saw his name. Upon searching I found out he died at 37 so I contacted his wife because she was in the obituary. She had 3 girls with him and told me the whole story and sent me pictures of his other kids. One son could be his dad’s twin. It’s uncanny how strong his genes were.

TT, you found out your ex was dead at a high school reunion? Wow.. Congratulations on your detachment!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, it was my first ex and I found out before going because I was on my high school website and saw the in memory page. I graduated with 800 people so looked on a whim not expecting to know anyone. Then I start searching to find out the particulars. I hadn’t seen him since I was 22 and he never kept in contact with our son. He let my second husband adopt him. I felt a little bad and my son didn’t care at all because of being ignored. When he signed the adoption papers I told him he was free to see, call, etc anytime he wanted. He told his other wives that he was heartbroken that I wouldn’t allow him to contact my son which was a lie.

TT, hope I didn't sound too flip. I didn't realize you were so young when you divorced.I'm glad you were able to make a clean break for. you and for your son.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I married at 18, divorced at 21 and remarried a year later and had 2 more sons. I divorced him after 22 years once the kids were grown. When I talk about my ex on here I am referring to my second one. My first marriage we were both just too young. I guess the first was a good dad to his other kids. I wanted to know how he died in case it was something genetic but he struggled with alcohol. His last wife told him if he relapsed again they were done. He did and got a DUI. He knew he would lose his truck driving job so he killed himself. He had a horrible childhood and his parents were awful and had 4 kids they treated poorly. We met in high school.

This afternoon I solveD the mystery of who fathered this adopted person who looks like my dad. The father is my uncle. Well I’ve got a bunch of uncles so I’m not gonna reveal which one since it doesn’t matter. But let’s just say, he wasn’t on the list of likely sperm donors.

I’m still wigged out that the mystery guy does not especially look like this uncle, tho he might look a little bit like his half brother, but mainly he looks like my dad.

But I need to let go of this little project and move on to tracing relatives who may have a key to ancient ancestors. That’s really why I signed onto this DNA project, trying to match up with those who can lead me back to the auld countries.

Thread Information