Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite kitchen knife maker

Your favourite kitchen knife maker

My kitchen knives are badly needing some attention. The bird's beak paring knife that I love by Henckels is needing replacement. I had two but the handle fell off the blade on one so I am down to one.

Friends suggest cutco.com and my sister suggests Wusthof.com products. I am going to try having my old knives examined and sharpened if they are worth doing.

What is your favourite knife and manufacturer? Why?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Shun "premier" series. Capable of super sharpness, easy to care for. You have to not abuse them though, they aren't cleavers or axes.

Much lighter in my hand and better balanced than the heavier German stainless knives.

Well, we're JJ Henckels people, too, and we added to our collection slowly over the years. When I had business trips in Germany I brought DH back a Henckel on each occasion, but already had a collection going. DH is an amateur chef and he is so insane about his knives that when his brother was living with us, he hid an old French knife with a wooden handle that was deteriorating and his boning knife, for fear that BIL would somehow abuse them. (He probably would. I have LONG since learned NEVER to open a package with his boning knife!!)

I also bought two Cutco knives, because a friend of my son was selling them. They are also very good, actually. Very good quality. I have a spreader and another knife. Good ergonomics and very sharp. But I'm not the expert. I just know I've cut myself very easily with that spreader.

We also have a Wusthof connection: DH's birthday was last weekend, and my kids bought him a cleaver. We haven't tried it yet, and frankly, I'm a little afraid of it! I think I'm going to have him use it outside on a log-splitting stump! . I'll let you know what he thinks about it.

So, bottom line, my favorite is Henckels just because of our long, happy history with them.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

A small shop near my parents used to sell Rada knives and I have bought many of them over the years for myself and for gifts. They are inexpensive and last indefinitely if you take care of them (no dishwasher!). They hold an edge really well and I sharpen them with one of those small hand-held sharpeners. They are not thick, heavy blades and they are really easy to use (I have a very heavy knift that I use for watermelons, but these are great for everything else). I also like the Victorinox paring knives - I think these are recommended by Cooks Illustrated, and the blades are similar to the Rada.

Westhof and Henckels here.

My husband loves cutco. He has about 3 of them in various sizes.

I’m not the kitchen guru, so I just use what he buys. He throws away some of the cheap knives - I don’t even remember where we got them from.

I starting building DH's Wusthof collection about 40 years ago, before we were even married. I would give one for a birthday gift and one for a xmas gift. They are still performing well for us all these years later.

[QUOTE=catherine;365750
    I also bought two Cutco knives, because a friend of my son was selling them. They are also very good, actually. Very good quality. I have a spreader and another knife. Good ergonomics and very sharp. But I'm not the expert. I just know I've cut myself very easily with that spreader.

[/QUOTE]

I bought a 3" paring knife from Cutco. The blade and handle are very good, and the company promises to replace the knife if am dissatisfied at any time. The cost was $70 as I recall. The mandatory sales spiel was rather long and tedious. (Neighbor's kid, selling Cutco knives to help pay for his college expenses.)

One knife I am very happy with is a 10" serrated bread knife made by Victorinox in Switzerland. (All the knife is used for is slicing fresh-baked bread, so it makes friends easily.)

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    One knife I am very happy with is a 10" serrated bread knife made by Victorinox in Switzerland. (All the knife is used for is slicing fresh-baked bread, so it makes friends easily.)
    I have that knife! I do like it, though it does not get much use any more.

I shop at the cheap end of the store. I've tried Henckels and Wusthof and Global and the department store brands (Chicago Cutlery, Calphalon, etc.). Definitely didn't like the Global's steel handle once my hands got greasy. I also prefer German-style blades rather than French or Japanese. i think it's a lot like so many other things -- cars, shoes, etc. -- you kind of get used to what you have and use most often. So I have a small population of Victorinox/Forschner knives. They keep a nice edge and I like the balance (though I did go for the heavier wood handles because they felt nicer on the hand and better balanced than the synthetic ones). I've had them 15 years now -- maybe longer. They're still in great shape. But I do police anyone who offers to wash the dishes for me, particularly if they're filling the dishwasher.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post

I shop at the cheap end of the store.
    This is a whole other topic. I'm going to start a new thread.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information