Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Value

Value

In YMOYL, value for money is key.

What are you willing to spend more money on?
    What do you value in terms of the purchases in your lives?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Pre pandemic I would have said travel and experiences. All other things we pretty much like what we have and don't see replacing in the near future.

Interesting thread to explore.

I have changed my views over the years.

Now I value:
    - good shoes for the longterm use vs style
    - some good longterm underwear and socks vs lots of them
    - a basic car with good mileage and able to haul all I need (Prius V) vs sporty (a bright red Vibe)
    - modest phone - cell and landline - vs all the bells and whistles beyond call display and message

As Covid continues, I am finding it easier to simplify further and focus more on people vs activities requiring tickets and trips.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am so glad I finally purchased my sporty bright red convertible. It has been a source of entertainment during these lockdown months.

So, these days I value GOOD entertainment. Hard to find.

Dislike intensely electronics with bells and whistles if they are not intuitive to pick up and value simple old solid whatevers, which is why certain things from the thrift stores please me.

This year I am valuing the contribution my favorite organizations are making to the world and am sending them more $than usual. Because we are not traveling,
    I have more dinero to spread around.

In YMOYL, value for money is key.

What are you willing to spend more money on?
    What do you value in terms of the purchases in your lives?
    - healthy organic food, but I don't need to spend even more, I'm already spendy
    - I suppose if it's within reason (aka employer provided, because it's not within reason outside of that) I'll contribute to get the best health insurance I can
    - I don't know there are times I'm struggling, and spending for therapy or even a massage for stress seems worthwhile (ha not the latter with covid for sure), other times it really doesn't
    - well I guess I'm spending for higher speed internet, but when your working from home most of the time really don't have much of a choice

I'm fairly picky with purchases, I try for quality etc., but often it doesn't really matter much, nothing is all that high quality these days and I know it
    Trees don't grow on money

Actually, every single thing that Razz listed. In 2020, our quality entertainment has mostly been free, but I agree with IL that well-considered charitable contributions were especially important this year.
    Good food and wine.
    Plants and bird food.
    ANM: I would not have listed medical expenses, but you are right; I guess they are so fundamental to my values that I didn't even think of them in this conversation. DH had (IMHO) a somewhat crappy dentist for most of his adult life. Now that crappy dentist has retired, we are paying big time for crowns, bridges, root canals. Whenever he tells me that there is another expenditure, I say "OK, it's your teeth, whatever needs to be done we will do it." It seems like a no-brainer to me, but certainly this comes from a place of privilege and not everyone thinks this way.

The hard part is that often a higher price does not guarantee quality. Items I would spend more on are those practical things I touch/use everyday. Bed linens, pillows, soap, good food. Good coffee and beer. I get very frustrated by so many things that are not designed or made well like present day furniture and cheap clothing/shoes. One thing I spent a lot on was having real wood floors installed in this house and I have never regretted it. I don't like "pictures of wood" floors or other household things that mimic the real thing.

Quality kindle books

It was traveling and experiences and lately I spent money buying some new pictures and a cabinet to update my home. We mostly have everything we need.

The last few years I've gradually replaced a handful of hand-me-down furniture that I'd had for decades. The rule has been if the wood comes from a questionable source, I don't buy it. A couple of pieces were made by a local craftsman. I don't have extravagant tastes, but pay a premium above what I think of as standard consumer grade for shoes, sunglasses, beer, and groceries.

"What do you value in terms of the purchases in your lives?"

I have a spoiled American lifestyle, but within that, try to consider the environmental footprint of things I consume and keep things simple and healthy.

Thread Information