Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Value

Well, we didn't get value from our four year old fancy schmancy double door Kenmore fridge. Our appliance repairman said the compressor is failing and we'd better shop for another fridge. We never buy extended warranties so we don't have recourse there. The repairman seems to think a lot of the parts in the fridge were made in China. Oh, well. We ordered a new fridge from Costco. The old fridge we gave up four years ago is probably still running somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Shepherd View Post
    Well, we didn't get value from our four year old fancy schmancy double door Kenmore fridge. Our appliance repairman said the compressor is failing and we'd better shop for another fridge. We never buy extended warranties so we don't have recourse there. The repairman seems to think a lot of the parts in the fridge were made in China. Oh, well. We ordered a new fridge from Costco. The old fridge we gave up four years ago is probably still running somewhere.
    Wow, only four years from a fridge is really lousy. Our non-fancy Kenmore is going strong after a lot of years. I'm not sure just how many, but we're only on our second fridge since 1985.

we've gone through many refrigerators in 47 years...This last one has lasted well. A Maytag, 2000, I ordered a new one because 20 years...we have surge protectors now and I think that makes a big difference in how long they last. Our problem is the space is small...so there are only 2 that will fit that are currently made. It was back ordered for months...may come in January. I just don't want to be stuck with a broken fridge.

Seven years ago we brought our old fridge with us from SC because it looked so bad and I didn't want potential buyers to ask for a new refrigerator.

Seven years later, it's still going strong although my husband has managed to break all the drawers and he put in a wooden rack which looks ridiculous.

I guess we are leaving it this time. At least it works!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Seven years ago we brought our old fridge with us from SC because it looked so bad and I didn't want potential buyers to ask for a new refrigerator.

Seven years later, it's still going strong although my husband has managed to break all the drawers and he put in a wooden rack which looks ridiculous.

I guess we are leaving it this time. At least it works!
    So that worked out perfectly!

I don't want to jinx it. Our Maytag fridge was bought in 1994. Had a couple of repairs but still working well. Much like nswef it is a small one and would be difficult to fit a new one where it is. It is a side by side fridge/freezer. A good layout for us back then as it still is now. Knock on wood...

I paid more for organic jumbo black pepper, Peppercorns are sorted, and the jumbo ones go through a coarser mesh. I have a choice what peppercorns to put in a pepper mill, to grind immediately before shaking on meat, etc. I think bigger peppercorns have had more time to grow and develop full and complex flavor,

In April my mom's cousin passed away and I am his executrix. He had many high quality things, as well as a lot of things stashed away instead of being disposed. Bordering on hoarding. Finally the house is empty and under contract.

I vow to get rid of as much of my own stuff as I can, and buy only what I really really need, and buy the best as inexpensively as possible. More than enough clothes, and I buy better quality in thrift stores when needed. Horse equipment is slowly being scaled down to one quality item when needed. One well-designed, hard wearing saddle pad (my old ones will be put on consignment), my new to me saddle cost me $400, but will require $900 of work to fit my pony and I perfectly, which is well worth the money. I've always bought the best I could afford and took care of everything; still using a 30 year old bridle, my old 30 year old saddle looks great and ready to be sold, and even my winter riding clothes are ancient but doing OK.

Most of the things I use daily have been scaled down to the best of the best. Now I buzz my hair with clippers, allowing me to save money and have a trim whenever I want one.

My cousin had lots of nice things but I don't think he actually enjoyed or used all he had. He certainly didn't get the full value of his belongings.

Thread Information