Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online games - esports . Your favourite?

Online games - esports . Your favourite?

While I was aware that people played with others online in games like chess, scrabble, etc, I had not seen it as a sport aka esport with heroes and contracts until I read this article on CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/onlin...orts-1.5773163

"Zhou is a 22-year-old University of Toronto student double majoring in economics and statistics. But she's also a female grandmaster who has been playing chess since the age of four, won the Canadian women's chess championship in 2016 and has been on the national chess team for six years.

Her engaging social media presence combined with her chess skills has made her a mini celebrity on the live streaming platform Twitch, which attracted the attention of Counter Logic Gaming (CLG) , a Los Angeles-based e-sports organization that fields online gaming teams. That in turn, prompted the e-sports organization to offer her a contract."

When the online competes with in-person contact, it is more inclusive regardless of limitations beyond internet access. This is good.

Were you aware of this development and its breadth? What games do you play online? What are any pitfalls or concerns that need to kept in mind that you have found helpful?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (with Ilhan Omar) was gaming on Twitch the other night, creating quite a stir. I only know because I read about it.

The only games I play on line are solitary ones. I wouldn't be inclined to play in a group, but it's clearly a solid pastime for many. Apparently, there's money to be made, too.

It is only through my kid that I discovered people are becoming micro-celebrities by playing games on-line while people watch. At that age, I was playing chess by mail with a pen pal in New South Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (with Ilhan Omar) was gaming on Twitch the other night, creating quite a stir. I only know because I read about it.

The only games I play on line are solitary ones. I wouldn't be inclined to play in a group, but it's clearly a solid pastime for many. Apparently, there's money to be made, too.
    From what I heard she also used the time to talk about the importance of voting. She’s a smart cookie, that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    From what I heard she also used the time to talk about the importance of voting. She’s a smart cookie, that one.
    I'm tremendously impressed with her, her brains, her instincts, and her energy. I hope she and her peers represent the future.

Oh my God the media loved this story. I made the mistake of listening to NPR yesterday and it was repeated over and over and over in different ways.

Well in fairness, can you imagine say, Mitch McConnell doing anything so frivolous? Or anything for fun, really?

Well in fairness, can you imagine say, Mitch McConnell doing anything so frivolous? Or anything for fun, really?
    Thwarting Democrats?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Thwarting Democrats?
    Being a bit older than the average user I’ve never gone on twitch but I’d totally be there if Mitch McConnell was going to do it. That would be awesome to watch.

I have nothing against Alexandria OC reaching audiences thru gaming on Twitch. Seems normal to me.

I did squirm at the way NPR salivated over her and their sanctimonious coverage of her Twitch stream. Sam SanderS did an entire segment on AOC’s Twitch stream and informed us oh-so-seriously that AOC was very uncomfortable playing whatever game she played because she had to prevaricate about her identity, and AOC doesn’t like to lie, doncha know.

Then, when NPR news coverEd the AOC thing at the top of both hours, I had quite enough of AOC in the 90 minutes it takes me to drive to Hermann thank you very much.

Thread Information