Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paranormal Skeptic James Randi is Dead

Paranormal Skeptic James Randi is Dead

Or is he?

One more individual that I know nothing about. At the risk of sounding snarky, why should I care?
    “The medium is the message. This is merely to say that the personal and social consequences of any medium – that is, of any extension of ourselves – result from the new scale that is introduced into our affairs by each extension of ourselves, or by any new technology.” (Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man, 1964)

Oh I loved Randi and saw him in person way back in the day when he took his show on the road. In one of the libraries where I worked I made sure we got the Skeptical Inquirer. I think he was an editor. Since I worked only in University towns it was an appropriate Publication for those collections. Not a bible belt publication.

I had no idea he has returned to us here in the living. I will have to go consult Dr. Google about that.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh I loved Randi and saw him in person way back in the day when he took his show on the road. At one of the libraries where I worked, I made sure we got the Skeptical Inquirer. I think he was an editor. Since I worked only in University towns it was an appropriate Publication for those collections. Not a bible belt publication.

I had no idea he has returned to us here in the living. I will have to go consult Dr. Google about that.
    One of my good friends in high school worked for him as his assistant. We were about 15-16. She said he was a great guy.

I could have sworn Randi died a couple decades ago.

well, i am glad he lived to a ripe old age after all.He won’t be back. He doesn’t believe in that chit.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    At the risk of sounding snarky, why should I care?
    Because no man is an island?

This reminds me that back in Randi’s heyday, Washington University had a department devoted to paranormal research. Yes, respected, respectable, Washington university, where you spend upwards of $40,000/ annually to send your reasonably smart but not brilliant college student, studied that tooic.

It was quietly phased out some years later.

Weren’t we a sweeter and more naive country when studying paranormal sciences and taking sides with Uri Geller were our national past-times?
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-25-20 at 11:00am.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Because no man is an island?
    Usually.... starting a thread which gives no content beyond a name gets a gentle rebuke for failing to add a reason for posting the name in the first place.
    The response above does not cut it. That response would apply to all - including Democrats and Republicans in these polarized times.
    “The medium is the message. This is merely to say that the personal and social consequences of any medium – that is, of any extension of ourselves – result from the new scale that is introduced into our affairs by each extension of ourselves, or by any new technology.” (Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man, 1964)

I was one of the last TAM meetings in Vegas in about 2013 with a friend who introduced me to this crowd. Penn and Teller, Daniel Dennett, Michael Schermer, etc. The amazing Randi was there also, as an observer that time as he was having some health problems. People really loved him.

That same friend of mine does social media for Penn Jillette. She read 1000s of messages these last few days re: Randi’s passing. Some of them were stories of the funny things he did back in the day.

One example: a person was outside a restaurant and saw him and said “you’re the amazing Randi!” Randi said “want to see a trick??? Close your eyes for 10 seconds!”

And when the man opened his eyes Randi was driving away from him, waving and laughing.

Thread Information