Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting

I can see killing for the sake of eating - and I am for using as much of an animal as possible - meat, skin, etc. I think killing for the sake of killing is just wrong. There are plenty of ways to get target practice without killing anything.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    There are plenty of ways to get target practice without killing anything.
    Yes there are! If it makes you feel better I've fired 10's of 1000's of rounds at various targets since then without once harming a living thing. So, chiding at this point is probably not necessary.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

My dad hunted rabbits and pheasants and we ate them. My ex hunted deer and turkey and we ate them. We relocate wildlife now. One year a squirrel ate the entire garden except it didn’t like tomatoes). We eat meat. I doubt they will eat the bear and killing just for killing is disgusting. We have a bear hunt locally yet we are not overpopulated. Deer in particular tend to be overpopulated and dying from starvation is much worse. We fished all the time growing up and ate them. My folks had a summer resort on a lake so fished daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes there are! If it makes you feel better I've fired 10's of 1000's of rounds at various targets since then without once harming a living thing. So, chiding at this point is probably not necessary.
    No chiding from my side at all; sorry if anything was interpreted as such. As for target shooting, I have always wanted to try the clay pigeons/skeet shooting. Now I'm thinking my old eyes and reflexes would not produce positive results - lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have hunted for food and have absolutely no problem with sportsmen hunting. There is an ugly side to it. There are a lot of city folk who rarely venture out into the country except to hunt and just don't know how to behave or use guns safely. Poachers, waste of game meat, and maybe trophy hunters. I'd like to think the bad apples are a minority. Hunters are probably good for the environment as long as they behave. They help to balance wild populations that have lost natural predators. Licenses and fees are used to manage wildlife and things like duck stamps help to preserve wetlands. I think most states require some sort of hunter education certification that includes safe handling of firearms.

Yppej
    While I do not kill animals in nature if they get in the house I do - trap mice, sprayed for carpenter ants, etc.

I like spiders in the house and try not to kill them. But sometimes I get tired of their webs in the fall so there is a day in November where I declare webs are coming down, and the webs come down. We are snakes in Hermann and I don’t mind them. We even had a snake in the house but it died there.

A couple months ago I had a ground squirrel in the house in Hermann. I just left the front door open and went out to the garden to work and when I came back he had scampered out. We do not have ground squirrels in the city.

In Texas where DH grew up, it was a rite of passage to go out with the men and hunt every fall. He was 16 when he finally shot a buck. When he went to retrieve the dying animal, he said he was overcome with sadness, felt sick to his stomach and never wanted to hunt again. Of course, that is not something he would ever confess to the men. My shooting animal story is that when I was 6, my mom let me and my brother watch my uncle, a butcher, kill a cow. To this day, I remember the sound of that frightened cow running down the cement ramp and watching it collapse from the bullet shot in his head. I remember that my brother however thought it was neat and saved the eyeballs in a jar until they started to smell really bad. I don't think most Americans ever think about where or how meat comes to them. I just learned from watching a PBS show that our beef is now coming from places like Nicaragua and if processed in the US does not need to show country of origin. It would take severe starvation to make me kill an animal myself and eat it.

There are a lot of city folk who rarely venture out into the country except to hunt and just don't know how to behave or use guns safely.
    True this. When I was younger, a stable I rode at had a horse shot during deer season - on posted property. After that, pastured animals were kept closer to the barn and decked out in bright sheets/blankets. I've seen people paint animals, too, but that doesn't work as well on darker horses. And sometimes even experienced hunters make mistakes - the brain is wired to see what it's looking for. We stay out of the pasture, even, during gun season, unless we're wearing red or orange.

If one sees the feedlots and the meat processing that supply our meat, the hunting that is done is benign by comparison.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information