Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What is the one spiritual quality that you value most?

Quote Originally Posted by JakeSilva231 View Post
    Exactly, the main thing is to make sure that those around you are willing to follow it!
    No, I disagree. I do it because that is how I want to spend my life. If they don't, then I respond by removing myself or finding measures to protect myself. I am in charge of my life, how I think and feel. I cannot make anyone do anything that s/he is not willing to do or follow.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I agree with you, I need to look at myself. I mean, the world as a whole would change if everyone lived by this rule.

https://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-to-graduates/

I just read this commencement speech delivered by writer George Saunders, and it reminded me of our discussion about kindness. It's a beautiful speech.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The problem with the golden rule is that too many people think it means "Do unto others as you believe you would want them to do unto you in the same situation" so they barge in and do something useless or harmful because they've misread the situation or their projecting they're own prejudices/personality onto the situation. It's like the helpful DH in another thread who decides to spare DW the work of hand weeding by spraying Roundup on everything. It's like the friend who volunteered to help me move by packing clothes and books, but while was busy elsewhere threw away everything in my house that she didn't recognize because it must leftover/broken parts from something.

Kindness is always appropriate, but if you think something beyond superficial kindness is needed, always ask "Do you need...?" or "Can I do something to help you?" No deep personal knowledge, or even shallow knowledge, is required -- just ask one simple question before you barge in.
    Last edited by GeorgeParker; 2-19-21 at 9:06pm. Reason: to fix typo

It was a very simple but wise speech.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information