Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the one spiritual quality that you value most?

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    What's the difference between a spiritual quality and a regular one?
    What is a regular one? If it not made of matter or in a material form, it is spiritual, isn't it?
    Some samples from Merriam Webster:
    "Honesty is a desirable quality.
    Stubbornness is one of his bad qualities.
    She has strong leadership qualities.
    The house has many fine qualities.
    His music has a primitive quality.
    They offer quality at a reasonable price."
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My first response would have been kindness, but upon further reflection I think it is actually honesty/trustworthiness. Without trust, you don't have much. When I took a test to develop my strengths inventory in The Science of Well-Being course, honesty came out as my #1 strength, so maybe that is why I value it so highly in others.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    My first response would have been kindness, but upon further reflection I think it is actually honesty/trustworthiness. Without trust, you don't have much. When I took a test to develop my strengths inventory in The Science of Well-Being course, honesty came out as my #1 strength, so maybe that is why I value it so highly in others.
    agreed.

Kindness is no good if there is no honesty behind it.

Being “ Kindly honest” or “ honestly kind” as a dominate persona would be good.

Integrity, kindness.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Integrity is it for me. I don’t expect perfect people. But honest mistakes or well meaning blunders are one thing, deceit, lying, manipulation, etc. is another. I re-learned this from a a nickel. I snuck one off a retail counter a while back and left it on a shelf as I walked out, but it bothered me. I couldn’t figure it out, it was .05 And left for customers. When I finally did figure it out, it was my intent, the sneaking, the deceit that make the act something Bad. Same sort of thing about forgiveness. I have 2 criteria: 1) am I still hurting from whatever and 2) what was the intent?

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    When I finally did figure it out, it was my intent, the sneaking, the deceit that make the act something Bad. Same sort of thing about forgiveness. I have 2 criteria: 1) am I still hurting from whatever and 2) what was the intent?
    I am learning in some Buddhism classes that "intent" and "motivation" are important factors with regards to thoughts and actions. For example, you can do something good/nice, but if the intent or motivation is for selfish reasons, it may not be as good or nice as you think.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Whenever I have volunteered for a board of directors (I have served on a few over the past decade or so), my first question is whether the board has a litigation protection policy for its members. If it doesn't, I don't join. Never. Many people have no idea what legal implications joining a board can carry, everything from having to cover payroll if cash flow dries up to getting sued for the actions of other, or even past, board members and needing to cover legal expenses. Admittedly, these are worst case, and thankfully I have not run into this with any of the boards I have served on, but that's probably because I ask the litigation policy question right away. I do know people who have had to cover payroll for an organization, though, which was a temporary, but still pretty painful, financial imposition.

I suppose I should answer the thread's main question.

Trust is extremely important and also seemingly difficult to find. I'm trying to think of things - within reason, of course - worse than betrayed trust. Some of my worst experiences with people involved betrayed trust. Someone says something to you, but does something else behind your back that affects you adversely. Work environments tend to invite such behavior as some people jockey for position, power and assumed security. I have had a few intimate relationships in my past where I ultimately learned the hard way that I should have never trusted the person. These became some of the most painful experiences of my life, and at least one remains difficult to forgive even years later. So I really value trust and strive to be a trustworthy person. Sadly, it's really hard to detect the untrustworthy. Some people are masters of deception. Perhaps that's why back stabbing still seems so rampant out there?

Yppej
    I see kindness, or compassion if you prefer, to be more than surface manners. Think of "you have to be cruel to be kind."

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I see kindness, or compassion if you prefer, to be more than surface manners. Think of "you have to be cruel to be kind."
    It might be just a matter of semantics, but I don't buy that there can be a component of cruelty to kindness, although I do think "tough love" can have it's place among acts of kindness. I do agree that there is more to it than surface manners.

Thread Information