Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What is the one spiritual quality that you value most?

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    The problem here is that the things we would want done to us are not always the things that other people would want done to them. It’s better to do to others as they want things to be done to them - because we all have different preferences.
    yes, this is a more sophisticated approach to human relations.Granted, it is also harder to know what people want if you don’t know them well at all

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    yes, this is a more sophisticated approach to human relations.Granted, it is also harder to know what people want if you don’t know them well at all
    I think you guys are overanalyzing the Golden Rule.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So do I, they're being too specific. I think 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" means to be kind, to be honest, to be gracious, etc.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

What I wrote is called the platinum rule, which is a common concept in business circles. It’s shown to increase employee relations and customer service scores.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I figured someone would say that because— you are right! I just wanted to complain about something.

https://www.inc.com/peter-economy/ho...very-time.html

Yes it’s more difficult to know your audience. But it’s worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    What I wrote is called the platinum rule, which is a common concept in business circles. It’s shown to increase employee relations and customer service scores.
    Because we should treat and have relationships with others like an employee (get paid, set hours, etc) and on a scoring system?

I think I'll stick to being kind whenever possible and trying to remember that it is always possible.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I am also wary of bringing business marketing principles into personal relationships. I'm not trying to sell things to my friends, nor do I want them to try and sell things to me. Nor am I trying to keep them happy while doing something they often don't have a full choice of doing. Business principles often come with ulterior motives, but sadly friendships sometimes also have them. It would be nice to fully separate out the personal from the business, but the current world has made that more difficult.

Business practices are generally predatory--not an impulse I'd like to bring into my relationships. That's my "brand," I guess.

I would have to say empathy. When we try to understand where another human is coming from, then it follows that we might be more apt to bestow on each other - kindness, consideration, respect, admiration.

Thread Information