Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 Works of Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I read about three pages of a James Patterson novel once...
    I read Moby Dick. I figure if I can get through that, I can get through pretty much anything.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I read Moby Dick. I figure if I can get through that, I can get through pretty much anything.

IIRC, that was read to us in grade school, for some reason. It may have turned me off "literature" forever.
    One of the perks of adulthood is being able to read what you want.

I Declare prooudly that I’ve never read Moby Dick. I think I started it once.

Catherine, it would be cool to start a worst three classics thread--I nominate Middlemarch.

Moby Dick, Last of the Mohicans, Catcher in the Rye, Ulysses...
    I could go on.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Moby Dick, Last of the Mohicans, Catcher in the Rye, Ulysses...
    I could go on.
    I've always read for fun and voluntarily read Last of the Mohicans as a high school sophomore. I liked it a lot and still do, not only that but all 5 books in the Leatherstocking Tales, I even named a dog Natty Bumppo once.

My high school literature teacher thought it would be fun to force us to give verbal book reports one quarter which scared the bejeezus out of a young introvert like me, but I got up there and hemmed and hawed and did a terrible job presenting my thoughts on the book to the rest of the class. When I sat down afterwards she announced to the class that I'd received a 'D' for effort and an 'A+' for selection, which helped cement my lifetime personal grade of 'Average'.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I've always read for fun and voluntarily read Last of the Mohicans as a high school sophomore. I liked it a lot and still do, not only that but all 5 books in the Leatherstocking Tales, I even named a dog Natty Bumppo once.

My high school literature teacher thought it would be fun to force us to give verbal book reports one quarter which scared the bejeezus out of a young introvert like me, but I got up there and hemmed and hawed and did a terrible job presenting my thoughts on the book to the rest of the class. When I sat down afterwards she announced to the class that I'd received a 'D' for effort and an 'A+' for selection, which helped cement my lifetime personal grade of 'Average'.
    He also wrote a great novel called “The Sea Lions” that I always felt was under-appreciated.

The thing that bothered me most about Moby Dick is that it seemed Melville couldn't decide if he wanted to write a story about whaling or a technical book on whaling. For me, the detailed technicalities weighed and slowed down the story - which I actually enjoyed.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The thing that bothered me most about Moby Dick is that it seemed Melville couldn't decide if he wanted to write a story about whaling or a technical book on whaling. For me, the detailed technicalities weighed and slowed down the story - which I actually enjoyed.
    I think that sums it up pretty well, Happystuff. I remember when I finished it, I felt like I should get an award or at least a t-shirt or something! I remember saying that if a dead whale dropped out of the sky I would know just how to process the carcass.

Oh, one more thing about Moby. Many years later, I read In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick, which was about the tragedy of the whaling ship Essex. Apparently this is the true story that inspired Moby Dick. It was non-fiction and a much more enjoyable read, which I thought was unusual.

Thread Information