Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 3 Works of Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    City of Joy, Rosemary's Baby, probably Gone With the Wind...
    Runner up: anything by Agatha Christie.

But I have a strong preference for non-fiction, so I would recommend a few NF titles.
    So start a non fiction thread.

My recs will all be biographical, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    First category:
    Lately it is anything by Pearl S. Buck
    The Lord of the Ring series
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Second category:
    The Green Kingdom - Rachael Maddux
    The Dispossessed - Ursula K. Le Guin
    Ishmael - Daniel Quinn
    oh good show on The Green Kingdom. It fits this definition well since it is obscure but gets strong reviews on Good Reads. Honestly, i have never heard of it, and that is unusual for books with legs from that era.

That put me in mind of Green Mansions, once well known but now obscure. A forest fantasy of sorts.

I remember liking Pearl Buck's work, and James Michener's sprawling tales.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    oh good show on The Green Kingdom. It fits this definition well since it is obscure but gets strong reviews on Good Reads. Honestly, i have never heard of it, and that is unusual for books with legs from that era.

That put me in mind of Green Mansions, once well known but now obscure. A forest fantasy of sorts.
    I actually re-read it every 3-5 years. I really enjoy it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    What the best works of fiction you have ever read?

Let's break it down....

What are: a) What you think are the top 3 fiction books written and b) 3 works of fiction you would recommend to the rest of us that might not be as well-known but you really enjoyed?

Let's inspire each other to read something awesome!

Best fiction books I ever read:
    The Dollmaker
    Grapes of Wrath
    Gone with the Wind

Books to recommend:
    All Creatures Great and Small: James Herriot
    We were the Mulvaneys: Joyce Carol Oates
    Angela's Ashes: Frank McCourt
    I really liked The Dollmaker and We Were the Mulvaneys, although they both made me cry. I couldn't finish Angela's Ashes; too brutal for me.

I just read The Last Mrs. Parrish and was pretty disturbed by it so I decided to take a break from reading. I'm too easily triggered. And now that I'm able to be out in the garden, that's where I need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I really liked The Dollmaker and We Were the Mulvaneys, although they both made me cry. I couldn't finish Angela's Ashes; too brutal for me.
    Cool--sounds like we like the same books. The Dollmaker is such an awesome story!! And so is We Were the Mulvaneys--and you're right. I was on a plane and had to ask the flight attendant for a napkin because I found myself sobbing in my seat.. a little embarrassing.. . Frankly, the Mulvaney family reminds me of my own, so maybe that's why it hit me so hard.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I would think mine would more be in categories, then over all. I say that, because there was one book, I read, simply because it was there, and I was bored out of my mind on a security guard job, where I had to open a gate, twice a night. The problem is the book was great, but I don't know its title or who wrote it. (just remember the story)
    In my SciFi Fantasy genre:
    The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy (made me laugh through some rough times). Douglas Adams
    The Cryptonomicon Neal Stephenson
    The Chronicles of Amber, Roger Zelany

Drama:
    The Millennium Series Stieg Larsson and David Lacrantz?
    Brandywines War Robert Vaughn (just found out this is back in print. Found it years ago, when cleaning out a relatives estate, with Coffee Tea or Me)
    Had another, but now thinking of the above.

Hitchhiker’s Guide is hilarious. I haven’t read that for probably 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    The Cryptonomicon Neal Stephenson
    I'm glad you mentioned that one because I'd forgotten about it while putting together my list. I mentioned it here several years ago after reading it, along with his series The Baroque Cycle. They both even featured fictional family members in common, the Shaftoes. If you haven't read the latter one (It's a series of three novels Quicksilver , The Confusion and The System Of The World) I'd highly recommend it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I am having a hard time with this thread. I would be hard pressed to come up with a list of my 10 favorite horror novels, let alone whittling it down to 3 novels from all genres. I could tell you my top 3 by Stephen King or by Shakespeare maybe, or my top 3 from childhood that are still on my bookshelves. But that wasn't the question.
    Rosemary's Baby would go on my favorite horror list, and Hitchhiker's Guide would definitely top my Sci-Fi/Fantasy list. I think Of Mice and Men would have to be on my top 3 list. I loved Gone with the Wind, but I don't think that would make the cut.

Thread Information