Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 3 Works of Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I am having a hard time with this thread. I would be hard pressed to come up with a list of my 10 favorite horror novels, let alone whittling it down to 3 novels from all genres. I could tell you my top 3 by Stephen King or by Shakespeare maybe, or my top 3 from childhood that are still on my bookshelves. But that wasn't the question.
    Rosemary's Baby would go on my favorite horror list, and Hitchhiker's Guide would definitely top my Sci-Fi/Fantasy list. I think Of Mice and Men would have to be on my top 3 list. I loved Gone with the Wind, but I don't think that would make the cut.
    I agree, three novels for everyone isnt practical. But that said,
    I did download .things in Jars because
    I like the title, and I may try Green Kingdom.

you read extensive rosa so yes, Imcan see how this would be hard for you.

SciFi:

The Deryni Chronicles - Katherine Kurtz
    The Dragonriders of Pern series - Anne McCaffrey
    Then - really going back - a tie between: The Telzey Amberdon series by James H. Schmitz and the Fuzzy Sapiens series by H. Beam Piper.

I'm not really a horror fan. Especially after reading The Shining - LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Happy Stuff: The Shining is definitely in my top 10 for horror! The little girls in the hallway were magnificently creepy and unforgettable, but I always loved the moment when Wendy looks through Jack's manuscript and realizes he is mad as a hatter! And she is snowbound with him in the middle of nowhere! I just love that stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    SciFi:

The Deryni Chronicles - Katherine Kurtz
    The Dragonriders of Pern series - Anne McCaffrey
    Then - really going back - a tie between: The Telzey Amberdon series by James H. Schmitz and the Fuzzy Sapiens series by H. Beam Piper.

I'm not really a horror fan. Especially after reading The Shining - LOL.
    Oh, LOVE the first two!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Happy Stuff: The Shining is definitely in my top 10 for horror! The little girls in the hallway were magnificently creepy and unforgettable, but I always loved the moment when Wendy looks through Jack's manuscript and realizes he is mad as a hatter! And she is snowbound with him in the middle of nowhere! I just love that stuff!
    That is how I judge a good book (or movie) - that it "sticks" with me and that book, and those scenes! still creep me out just thinking about them. LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Oh, LOVE the first two!
    I know that there have been more recent books in the Pern series written with and then solo by McCaffrey's son(?). I haven't read them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    I love all of those named above! This is really hard, I love so many books!

Three of my top favorites: The Mill on the Floss, Breakfast of Champions, Catch 22

Books I recommend:
    Any of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series
    Anything by Henning Mankell
    Things in Jars
    The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings - I think these are Tolkien's best works. but I've not yet read his Beowulf translation
    Well, I tried Things in Jars. I am listening to the audible version. I’m abandoning this book halfway through. Sorry!

Maybe part of this is because I’ve never liked being read to, and this is my first try at an audible book in many years. Maybe part of it is I don’t like the reader, at least, some of her characterizations are annoying. But the thing is getting bogged down with too much description. And, too many characters that are bad guys but not very interesting bad guys. They’re superficial. I think the author is full of herself when it comes to flowery descriptions of settings.

For my free Audible trial I have one more book, so I’ve signed up for All the Light We Cannot See. I’ve had that sitting in my Kindle text file for more than a year. I think I’m going to love this book but it just takes me a while to get my head into that space.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

For my free Audible trial I have one more book, so I’ve signed up for All the Light We Cannot See. I’ve had that sitting in my Kindle text file for more than a year. I think I’m going to love this book but it just takes me a while to get my head into that space.
    I find I do better with biographies or non-fiction with very clear simple prose when it comes to audiobooks. And I prefer to listen to audiobooks when I'm driving or walking. It's a way of multitasking. Otherwise, I get impatient just sitting there, listening.

I looked up All the Light We Cannot See. The description is provocative Let me know what you think.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I find I do better with biographies or non-fiction with very clear simple prose when it comes to audiobooks. And I prefer to listen to audiobooks when I'm driving or walking. It's a way of multitasking. Otherwise, I get impatient just sitting there, listening.

I looked up All the Light We Cannot See. The description is provocative Let me know what you think.
    I will only be listening when doing a “ hands on” project.

I have 370 xmas cards to process, a daybed to upholster and sew, a lampshade to paint. So I need something to listen to and am not into any particular podcast series at the moment.

All the Light we Cannot See was an excellent book.

Thread Information