Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Back Again and a Venting of Financial Frustration

That's SO great to hear, Amator.....Good job!!!!!! Congratulations on how you're working your way through these problems. Sounds like you're on track to see lots of improvement and will be in a good place financially, soon.

Congratulations!! You give those who are struggling real hope -based on tough, practical decisions!! Wishing you the best!!

Amator, I went back and read the posts from the beginning. I am so sorry that you were under this stressful situation. I am glad that things are turning around for you!!! The folks on this board are pretty good at helping people work through problems.

Good deal.

Did I miss it or have you got your new baby yet?

Thanks everyone! The support means a lot.

Sissy, we're due on Thanksgiving Day.

Wow! Congratulations!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sissy, we're due on Thanksgiving Day.

My first grandchild had her first birthday last Thanksgiving! Now we have one due in a few weeks (her little sis) and my other DD is due in December. All girls and I can't wait to see them all in action!

congratulations on finding extra money! The blogging job sound ideal!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Reviving this really old thread because I wanted to ask: How does one find a blogging job like the one mentioned in this post? Don't know if Amator is still an active member here, but perhaps someone else can jump in?

Quote Originally Posted by Amator View Post
    Hello everyone, I wanted to give you all an update.

I've had success both with cutting down expenses and with increasing income.

Thankfully I received a small promotion and a 7% raise at my full-time job. This will go into effect next month. I also adjusted my tax withholding at work since it was still setup as when I was single with no kids. With both of these changes I should see around $600 additional net income per month.

I've also spent the last two months investigating a second job. I applied for ~20 jobs and was hired by two within a week. The first was waiting tables at a Chinese restaurant, which I did for a few nights. The second is writing weekend posts at a high traffic blog for 2 days a week @ $110/day. I parted ways with owner of the Chinese restaurant and have been writing every weekend this month. That will bring another $880 income per month and it's fabulous experience. The only drawback is no more free Chinese food.

We're still not completely out of the frying pan. I've made arrangements with my mortgage and auto lenders and should be completely caught up on all payments by Aug 15th. After that we can work on the chunk to pay the hospital for birthing costs. Hopefully by the time the baby comes in November we will have a small emergency fund back in place and be caught up with everything. Then I will throw an extra $1000 at the car loan per month and have it paid off by summer 2012. Then we should have no debt except for our mortgage.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice!

I've not been on this forum for quite some time, but I did get the notification email in Gmail just now.

I got started by finding out what I wanted to blog about (at the time that was personal finance, gaming, and technology), I created a free WordPress blog for those topics (GeekyFrugal.com - it has long since disappeared, but here's a link the Archive) and published what I considered high-quality posts with images and good copy. Once I had that, I started looking at job listings at Problogger.net and elsewhere and stumbled into an interview with Lifehacker.com. I wrote for them for two years, and for the past few years I've been a corporate technical writer. I make decent money, but it's the most boring type of writing imaginable (documenting incident reports for a telecom company) and I also freelance on the side by writing blog posts for SaaS companies.

In order to get work, you must have good content with your byline that you can send people to see. In the beginning, write your own stuff, and then get people to pay you for it--it doesn't matter how little this is at this point, it just gives you experience working with clients and fodder for your portfolio. Fivrr, Elance, etc. are good for this. Problogger is still a great resource.

Good luck!

I'm not going to address the math part if your situation; there are people better at that than I. On an emotional level, I hear a lot of overwhelm and perhaps shame in your description? (Think about not telling your old friend about your financial problems). What I can say is: given what you've been through, you actually seem to be taking action and achieving the results you need--not as quickly as you like, maybe, It sucks to have so many setbacks that were out of you control, and all at the same time. Be nice to yourself as you wade through this . You'll get there.

Thread Information