Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soup challenge: share a new soup recipe each week in November

Soup challenge: share a new soup recipe each week in November

I need to add some interest to my menu to make eating more of an adventure. November has always been the darkest month of the year for me so I try to add some special activities to counteract this.

Anyone want to join in to try a new homemade soup recipe each week in November, share a review along with the directions?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I just did one last night!

So here's a pre-challenge soup:
    Chop 1.5 lbs of mushrooms (any kind, but I used baby bella) and 2 medium onions.
    Cook the onions gently with a pinch of salt in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil until tender
    In the meantime, in another skillet, heat a TBS of oil and a TBS of butter and sautée garlic for 2 minutes and then add mushrooms and some thyme and sautée them both. When mushrooms are cooked add a few TBS of sherry or cooking wine and stir while cooking it off
    While you're doing all that, grab a soup pot and put in 6-7 cups of liquid (broth of your choice). Add two stalks of cut-up celery, and a little rice if you want to. Simmer for 15 minutes.
    Then add the mushrooms and onions and continue simmering until everything is tender. (the recipe said 15 minutes, but I found I needed longer than that to fully cook the celery).
    Remove soup from the heat and throw in half-and-half or cream. Again, the recipe said a couple of tablespoons of cream, but I put in a little more, probably about a quarter of a cup. It's up to you how creamy you want it.

I think it turned out pretty good. I love mushroom soup.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I LOVE soup! Come on, November!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Here's one I just picked up ingredients for. It's a little different and something I've made a few times over winter. The tofu preparation is a reasonable substitute for a cream soup, plus cream soups do not freeze well by my experience. I was skeptical the first try and surprised by the results. Vegan, healthy and might even qualify as a super food of sorts. "Warming Broccoli and Tofu Soup"

https://recipes.oregonlive.com/recip...-and-tofu-soup

I am using up garden produce, making soups, and freezing them.

Tomato soup: tomatoes, onions, wee bit of garlic, chicken stock cooked in crock pot for hours. When done, blend with stick blender. Ready to eat or add some cream if your like and need more calories!

Butternut Squash soup: cut those suckers up in chunks and microwave them until soft. Scoop out flesh from rind. Sauté onions in a sauce pan, add squash, tomato paste, chicken stock. Cook all until ingredients are all blended together and then use stick blendeR to fully blend. Add coconut milk.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-29-20 at 2:37pm.

One of my favorite soups.... I use half and half or regular milk.

https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Zuppa-...2372491?prm-v1

Chicken gumbo with chicken stock, onions, garlic, celery, celery seed or celery salt, crushed tomatoes, okra, and chopped cooked chicken (dark, light. or light and dark meat). You can add rice, if you like. I like to cook mine in the IP for a 5-12 minutes, depending on whether there's rice. (You can also add cooked sausage, gumbo seasoning, peppers, chili seeds, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Chicken gumbo with chicken stock, onions, garlic, celery, celery seed or celery salt, crushed tomatoes, okra, and chopped cooked chicken (dark, light. or light and dark meat). You can add rice, if you like. I like to cook mine in the IP for a 5-12 minutes, depending on whether there's rice. (You can also add cooked sausage, gumbo seasoning, peppers, chili seeds, etc.)
    I see, the okra makes it “gumbo.”

This is the first year in many years that we have not had okra in the garden. I’m not sure why we didn’t have any.

If I were any kind of cook, I'd make a roux. This is more like a pumped-up Campbell's from my childhood.

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/stuffed-pepper-soup/

This is a current favorite for using up the peppers in the garden.

Thread Information