Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitbit vs more serious health tracker?

Fitbit vs more serious health tracker?

I have a Fitbit--have had it for over 2 years and I'm addicted to it. The first thing I do when I wake up is look at my sleep score. I also track my resting heart rate.

In this self-mastery program I'm in, they talked about heart rate variability (HRV), which I had never really heard of before, especially not in the context of something that should be tracked. I looked into it with my Fitbit and turns out my Charge 2 didn't carry that metric.

Well, now it does. So I was very interested in finding out what my HRV was. I consider myself to be quite healthy for my age, although my RHR tends slightly high, especially if I have a couple of glasses of wine 3 days in a row.

I was shocked to see it's 11ms. Apparently at my age it should be close to 50. Younger people and athletes have HRV upwards of 80. I did some research and I find that a low HRV is correlated with poor cardiac health.

So, my plan of action is to see if I can get to see a doctor for a very belated check-up. Not sure how that will go, given how bad COVID is these days, but hopefully I can get in some time before the end of the year.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to follow some of the suggestions I've read on the internet to raise HRV scores--notably, I'm cutting out alcohol and increasing my exercise--I'll try to get my 10,000 steps in every day at least.

My question is--does anyone have any advice on the types of consumer health trackers that focus on cardiac metrics? I'm thinking specifically of WHOOP or EliteHRV, and a couple of others I've seen. Or do you think my Fitbit should be enough. The difference is the more cardiac-oriented devices track recovery rates after stress, and you can also check HRV throughout the day, as opposed to getting only one daily reading following sleep.

Any experience here?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What about an Apple Watch?

Tracking every tic and hiccup? All I need to know is that I have a pulse.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Tracking every tic and hiccup? All I need to know is that I have a pulse.
    Haha, I know. I just have a habit of recording and tracking everything in life. I journal, I track every penny in a budget software, I give myself a grade every day for my performance the day before. I'm a nut. I admit it. Maybe all that stress from tracking everything is why I have such a low HRV

Tradd, good suggestion on the Apple Watch. I'll look into it, but I suspect their metrics are more similar to Fitbit than the ones I mentioned that focus primarily on cardio health.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Catherine, I just realized that you probably need to have an iPhone to run an Apple Watch. I'm not totally sure, though. There is a separate app. I wonder if you could use an iPad, instead.

Edit: Heart monitoring stuff

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666

https://www.apple.com/healthcare/apple-watch/

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Haha, I know. I just have a habit of recording and tracking everything in life. I journal, I track every penny in a budget software, I give myself a grade every day for my performance the day before. I'm a nut. I admit it. Maybe all that stress from tracking everything is why I have such a low HRV

Tradd, good suggestion on the Apple Watch. I'll look into it, but I suspect their metrics are more similar to Fitbit than the ones I mentioned that focus primarily on cardio health.
    Let's hear it for diversity!
    I've tried tracking various things; it rarely lasts long. I balanced my checkbook once...

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Let's hear it for diversity!
    I've tried tracking various things; it rarely lasts long. I balanced my checkbook once...
    What I love about my Apple Watch is that it tracks my workouts and such and I don't have to do a thing! It's all there in the app.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    What I love about my Apple Watch is that it tracks my workouts and such and I don't have to do a thing! It's all there in the app.
    My Fitbit does the same, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My Fitbit does the same, actually.
    I was never interested in getting a Fitbit because the "screen" is so small. I'm used to wearing a watch and I like the Apple Watch for the regular watch features.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I was never interested in getting a Fitbit because the "screen" is so small. I'm used to wearing a watch and I like the Apple Watch for the regular watch features.
    You are right about that. The Apple Watch appeals to me, but I think it was more expensive than the Fitbit at the time. I do have an iPhone, so either would have worked.

Thread Information