Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: November Purge

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Not exactly purging but organizing:

i’ve determined that most of my family genealogy records will be in paper form. I don’t do any genealogy seriously, I just keep printouts of certain documents that I cannot find on the Internet. Those tend to be clarifying email messages from my cousin, the genealogist. Anyway – I printed out about five of those and filed them away. I created iCloud image files for images I copied from the Internet because I want to keep them handy. So, I purged and organized digital files in this effort which really only took half an hour, but it was a needed job.

In the 23andMe DNA test I hooked up with a cousin on my mom side of the family. I was aware of them vaguely but was very interested because they are German they’re not Scottish. I’m only interested in the Scotsman until recently. Anyway – he has a treasure trove of family photographs because his great grandfather was a photographer and everyone gave family photographs to him.

So my cousin gathered them together in a lovely digital presentation that’s clearly presented with identifying names and lineage charts for the HENNEY - MASON family of Central Iowa. It covers 1860-1960. Cool.
    Wow, IL, that is amazing work. Nicely done.

Decluttering my costume jewelry which is all still perfectly presentable. Putting it in a gallon ziploc bag and will try to sell it that way.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I gave all my costume jewelry to a thrift store a few years ago. It sells well. I have also sold it at garage sales.

Just burned some sheet music that I have been dragging around since college. Also a large framed photograph of my parents' farm because it makes me so sad. Lots of silver sage burned with both.

Am taking my electronic piano to Goodwill now. Someone else can make music with it. This also makes me sad.

I hate working through the "material convoy".

DH is designing a new rack for some bulky hobby equipment. We have a rack that takes a good chunk of the room it’s in. It’s a retail rack, meant to display items for sale. We’ll donate that to a store after he gets the new one made.

I found a place to put small, empty bottles. I use them, but in the pantry they take up to much room. So, a small bookcase I had which was empty got squeezed into a space just the right size... and the bottles are there. It’s accessible, out of the way, and stores things which were a pita to find when I wanted one. Yay!!!

Newgig- Luckily I do have a space out of the way for my obsession with glass jars too lovely to recycle...It's a problem and I KNOW I only need 4 or 5 of each kind...but they are so pretty. congratulations on getting more space in your pantry and getting rid of the shelf.
    Tybee- it's great to get rid of the things that make you sad. We think we should keep them, but ..My husband gifted a lovely sterling tie tac of a fish hook his mother had given him. It made him sad every time he looked at it after she died, so he gave it to a cousin who loved his Aunt (husband's mom) dearly and was pleased and touched to have it.
    Last edited by nswef; 11-13-20 at 9:10am.

My daughter and I gave away her play fridge, play food, and play dish set to a younger girl in the neighborhood. I'll call it three things. New total for month: 62.

Tybee - it sounds like you decluttered your items with dignity. It is sad, but you may find yourself almost relieved eventually.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

People.

Observe and respect my afternoon’s activity. I will accept allocades now. And later.

CD6ABAAC-3BBE-4214-A084-75F110D470D1.jpg

What you see here is a transfer of 250 volumes from my 3rd floor library to my 2nd floor. Tossed over the spiral staircase they were. Entirely, wantonly, disrespectful to the books.

I employed the same process to toss them from the second floor to the first floor.

Then, I transferred them to the garbage. Now before you get too alarmed understand that I made 4 piles of books to go to specific purposes. But believe me I know my books and the things I’m sending to the landfill need to go to the landfill.

After this I had to sit down and have a scotch or two. OK I’ll confess I had three scotches.
    so much alcohol! Because I have been dreading this first step since it was labor-intensive and required much physical work. I managed to get it all in within bout an hour and a half while DH is gone because he would be very very unhappy about this. Oh I am culling only my own books I’m not touching his.p books. But still, this flagrant disrespect of the written word would very much disturb him.

And now, alcohol fueled thoughts:

So much nostalgia coming to the forefront for these books. I have a nice set of
    Virago modern classics, about half of which I’ve not read. But they are really nice. I like the idea of liking them. I probably won’t be able to let go of them after all, they can sit on my bookshelf for a while.

I found my copy of the Queens Gambit by Walter Tevis. Oh my it’s a first edition! There’s not a ton of them on eBay. So I listed mine very cheaply. I love the novel I love the current television production, it is all good.

I have two turn of the century century books that are kind of funny in that they are Victorian era “how to be a good person” books. I think I will tie an antique ribbon around them, write a quick summary of them and why they’re charming, and put them forth as a sale item. I think people might like that. And might buy it.

My copy of “Everyone Poops “had a brown stain on the cover. This is pretty funny because I know it wasn’t poop but it was cat vomit. Back in the days when we had cats and anyone who has cats know that they just vomit all the time. There needs to be a companion volume called “Everyone vomits. “

Thread Information