Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: November Purge

November Purge

My daughter and I tackled her toy shelves this weekend and took 44 items to Goodwill, 5 items to friends with younger kids. We got rid of 4 Lego sets which feels like a rite of passage.

Sorted out 8 large boxes (of 12) of recycled wool to give to a neighbor who has ideas of how to use them. May give another box to a friend who does hooked rugs. Husband continues to sell boxes of his toy stash on Ebay. If we keep going, the room will be empty by Christmas.

Gave away a box of chickpea pasta on FB giving group. DH had gotten it for free at work and we don't like the stuff, but someone with a GF husband was eager to have it. It wasn't a major source of clutter or anything, but there is something satisfying in these little win-win interactions.

Took 5 boxes of books to the dump which had gotten wet on the porch. Sold 2 books at the antique shop. Culled a cheese crock. DH is building a box thing to replace a large, commercial storage rack. We'll donate the rack to a shop we know. There will be more, a LOT more! Two pounds of shredding to Staples, old checks, account statments, etc. (Why do we still have this stuff?)

Sold 3 more books. Sent a box of books to a friend. Gave extra herbs away.

11/12: two boxes of books to ship to bookstore in ME (about 100 volumes). Six books to a customer in CA. Six other pieces to another customer in CA. A bowl got broken, into the dump bin. Thrift shop donations: craft supplies, pillow form, cloth napkins, books. Sold some reference materials. Sent a book to a friend who's giving me one. Have 7 more books to donate to another friend, a bookdealer. Sold 45 magazines.

A gallery is taking the large, commercial storage rack as a donation -- YAY! BIL's present is gift wrapped, but I'm looking for a box or other thing to ship it in.

Old drugs to the bin at the pharmacy. Two bags of donations to the food pantry bin.

Multi-page printout in manila envelope for a customer who'll appreciate it.

11/13 2 more books out, rattan beach mat, end of a bottle of wood polish, repackaged the end of a box of borax, more papers.

11/17: a pair of knitting needles (broke one), 3 books, a mailer, 2 dead pencils, 3 pieces of clothing, 2 pillow cases.
    Last edited by NewGig; 11-17-20 at 3:53pm.

Yesterday, the Bulky Item Pick-Up service came and carried away my daughter's old dollhouse (cheaply made and falling apart), eight chairs, and an old outdoor rug I finally replaced. It felt like such a big deal to get these items out!

New total for month: 59.

I passed on 7 Amazon and 3 Chewy boxes to someone on NextDoor who is moving.
    We have a corrugated cardboard recycle bin here in the neighborhood, but it makes more sense to me that the boxes get used at least twice.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    I passed on 7 Amazon and 3 Chewy boxes to someone on NextDoor who is moving.
    We have a corrugated cardboard recycle bin here in the neighborhood, but it makes more sense to me that the boxes get used at least twice.
    One benefit of recycling boxes is that I can go to the recycling bin out in the alley behind my house and get a box whenever I need to mail some thing. Granted, I don’t mail things in boxes very often, but this year I mailed several boxes of Garden bulbs and rhizomes and so that was handy. Also, I prefer to give presents in boxes rather than bags because I like doing fancy wrapping jobs.So couple days ago I found the perfect size small box for a gift I’m giving.

These boxes are supposed to be flattened in the dumpster but many of them are not.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-5-20 at 9:42am.

One of my winter projects is to purge an old two drawer file cabinet so that process begins. I just received its replacement - a petite, rolling one drawer file cabinet.

Not exactly purging but organizing:

i’ve determined that most of my family genealogy records will be in paper form. I don’t do any genealogy seriously, I just keep printouts of certain documents that I cannot find on the Internet. Those tend to be clarifying email messages from my cousin, the genealogist. Anyway – I printed out about five of those and filed them away. I created iCloud image files for images I copied from the Internet because I want to keep them handy. So, I purged and organized digital files in this effort which really only took half an hour, but it was a needed job.

In the 23andMe DNA test I hooked up with a cousin on my mom side of the family. I was aware of them vaguely but was very interested because they are German they’re not Scottish. I’m only interested in the Scotsman until recently. Anyway – he has a treasure trove of family photographs because his great grandfather was a photographer and everyone gave family photographs to him.

So my cousin gathered them together in a lovely digital presentation that’s clearly presented with identifying names and lineage charts for the HENNEY - MASON family of Central Iowa. It covers 1860-1960. Cool.

You all are doing great! I need to get started again.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information