Thread: Political leadership and covid case numbers?

Political leadership and covid case numbers?

A friend with family living in the US is watching the US political process so I periodically get links that he thinks I might find interesting. I had sent him the link to James Clear's https://jamesclear.com/why-facts-dont-change-minds.

He sent me this link today which shows the greatest incidence and lowest incidence of covid over an extended period by political parameters:

https://dangoodspeed.com/covid/total...5-DUAERCtMO-J4

Can this be attributed to leadership style?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    The blue states were hit earlier because they are more coastal. The first documented case in Massachusetts was from a Chinese student who flew into Logan Airport. They also are more densely populated states so it is easier for the virus to be hot out of the gate there.

A foreign virus is going to take longer to reach the center of the country in force.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The blue states were hit earlier because they are more coastal. The first documented case in Massachusetts was from a Chinese student who flew into Logan Airport. They also are more densely populated states so it is easier for the virus to be hot out of the gate there.

A foreign virus is going to take longer to reach the center of the country in force.
    Except you’re not looking at raw numbers, you’re looking at cases per million. What the graph shows is that a lot of red states have now been worse hit per capita than even NY and CA despite the devastating numbers in the NYC area and LA area earlier this year.

I’m not particularly surprised. My mom’s hometown of 1200 people in western Kansas has had 3x the number of cases per capita than San Francisco and the numbers keep going up every day because they refuse to shut the school or mandate masks and are still only testing people who obviously have it so community spread through all age groups is rampant. Miraculously it hasn’t hit the nursing home there yet.

Not all red states are at the top of the chart though. Ohio, for example, has done well because they took it seriously pretty early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...traffic_(2018)

Geila
    I like this site because you can filter by category and I look at the Deaths/1M pop: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

When I first bookmarked this site the total deaths were 48.3k and that still shows up on my bookmark tag, back when the idea of 200k deaths seemed impossible. Our county has a very good site as well which I like to review because it includes a lot more relevant data specific to our area.

Ironically, many people are bitching and moaning about Gov. Newsom's handling of the virus and blaming him for the economy downturn and unemployment. Never mind that our Deaths/1M pop number is very good. I'm sure if he had chosen not to shut things down they would be in an uproar of over lost lives. You can't win with some people.

Still shortages of tests in WI... skews numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Can this be attributed to leadership style?
    I think much of it is related to politicization of mask wearing, distancing, large gatherings, and other risky behavior. Some of that is related to leadership, for sure, but also personal responsibility.

Thread Information