Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knitting!

Knitting!

After a year of knitting endless basic scarf-like things, shawls and simple hats (all learned from You-Tube), I'm finally starting to tackle SOCKS! I went to a real yarn store last week and spent huge bucks getting really nice yarn. Oh my god, it took me ten tries to get the dang thing started! Using five pointy needles and keeping track of everything at first was really HARD, but in my advancing old age I find that I am really quite patient and don't mind so much figuring out the mistakes and ripping it all out to start over and over again.

A few days later, it's starting to resemble the cuff of a sock!

PS: I have have to be really careful with my hands and wrists though; they are not doing so good these days...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3484
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have one of a pair started and patiently waiting for me to come back to it. I used to make my dad his socks for years and then got away from it after he passed. Knitting after one figures the pattern all out is very relaxing, I find. The nice part is that you can pick it up for short periods which should help your hands.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Looks great!!! Congrats! I know how to do basic knitting but never had the patience for intricate stuff. Did a little more of it when I learned Continental Knitting technique, but still... lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Scarfs are the extent of my expertise)

Awesome, SiouzQ!! Good for you for going through the process of teaching yourself!

My aunt was a knitter, but I never got the hang of it. I would start out with 20 stitches and wind up with 30, without having added them on my own.

I did try again in my 20s and was thrilled when I made the hat in the picture below (me with my 2nd son, 1980)--but, I wound up leaving it in a restaurant and I was so bummed I never knitted again. I loved that hat!

IMG_1895.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I tried to knit around 2000ish but it hurt my wrists so much that I had to give it up. I was going to try to do a baby blanket for a friend. Wish I could do it.

Very nice hat, catherine.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

I can also do blankets because they are just giant scarves)

I've knitted baby blankets and afghan squares. I did a baby sweater once, but didn't like the way the sleeve insets turned out. I should have kept at it.
    Good luck on the socks!

How are the socks progressing??

Thread Information