Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 91

Thread: Day-After Thoughts on the Election So Far

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8,178
    The thing about Trump that he generates not derangement but outrage fatigue, yea I may have had my criticisms of W, and hey Obama too, but they don't seem to matter, I'm outrage fatigued. I mean how it is I keep having to calibrate my expectations lower, you can never be too cynical.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  2. #52
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,620
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Guess I don't get it.
    OK, I'll explain it. Stephen Breyer is the oldest Supreme Court Justice currently serving and is also one of the most consistently liberal members of the court. When the question was asked (paraphrased) "Why would anyone vote for Donald Trump", I think a reasonable answer is that Stephen Breyer is 82 years old, implying that there may be another opportunity to nominate a justice soon. There seems to be a trend over the past 20 or 30 years for Democratic and Republican presidents to nominate judges they think most in line with their party's principles, hoping they'll bring a little activism to the bench, so one reason to vote for any President is their potential to add jurists with an ideology similar to your own.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    OK, I'll explain it. Stephen Breyer is the oldest Supreme Court Justice currently serving and is also one of the most consistently liberal members of the court. When the question was asked (paraphrased) "Why would anyone vote for Donald Trump", I think a reasonable answer is that Stephen Breyer is 82 years old, implying that there may be another opportunity to nominate a justice soon. There seems to be a trend over the past 20 or 30 years for Democratic and Republican presidents to nominate judges they think most in line with their party's principles, hoping they'll bring a little activism to the bench, so one reason to vote for any President is their potential to add jurists with an ideology similar to your own.
    Come on Alan, 82 is not old. An 82 year old can live forever if you just force everyone to wear masks forever so they don't get certain germs. And we're all entitled to live forever. Only cancer, heart disease or strokes should fell anyone this age. Infectious diseases are not allowed. If someone old dies of an infectious disease it must be someone else's fault, or the government's fault.

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8,178
    What age is old so we can cull people. The answer is 42. People have had what kids they are going to, not much biological purpose in living beyond that.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  5. #55
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    17,378
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Haha no, do not know that little beast.

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    4,759
    Go Dawgs!

  7. #57
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,664
    I think it's a good idea to remember that Biden's path to victory is more likely and soon this nation''s flirtation with the extreme dark side will be over. My neighborhood is keeping calm - we have - mostly - faith that light will prevail and celebrations will take place. Rob

  8. #58
    Senior Member herbgeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,291
    this nation''s flirtation with the extreme dark side will be over.
    No. You are mistaken. Half the country embraced this man, even knowing all the evil that was done. More people voted for Trump this time than last time (in actual numbers, not talking percentages). That's not going away anytime soon.

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,269
    Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    No. You are mistaken. Half the country embraced this man, even knowing all the evil that was done. More people voted for Trump this time than last time (in actual numbers, not talking percentages). That's not going away anytime soon.
    I certainly agree with you that 2020 has not proven to be revolutionary. If you view the GOP as the forces of darkness, you have to reckon with the fact that they appear to have retained control of the Senate and increased their representation in the House. They have also defeated a number of expensive efforts to flip state legislatures, which is particularly important in redistricting years.

    I think Trump is more effect than cause. I also think the left is very unclear on the cause. They feel more comfortable believing their opposition are simply ignorant, hateful dupes than trying to understand why so many millions reject their agenda.

  10. #60
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    17,378
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I certainly agree with you that 2020 has not proven to be revolutionary. If you view the GOP as the forces of darkness, you have to reckon with the fact that they appear to have retained control of the Senate and increased their representation in the House. They have also defeated a number of expensive efforts to flip state legislatures, which is particularly important in redistricting years.

    I think Trump is more effect than cause. I also think the left is very unclear on the cause. They feel more comfortable believing their opposition are simply ignorant, hateful dupes than trying to understand why so many millions reject their agenda.
    I love it we can settle in for the next four years in stasis. Republican Senate, opposite side in the White House. Lovely! That’s the way I like my life to be and I’m not being sarcastic here. Check and checkmate in D.C. Of course the White House can always rule by regulation so that is not a happy thought.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •