Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Day-After Thoughts on the Election So Far

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What better way to “other” people than to liken them to Nazis?
    I think you make a very good point. I know and love some very nice people who are Trump supporters, and it's both too simplistic and inaccurate to paint them all as Nazis and racists.

A nurse friend who was head of the cardiac ward cleverly commented, "They all look the same in a hospital gown".
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    OK, I'll explain it. Stephen Breyer is the oldest Supreme Court Justice currently serving and is also one of the most consistently liberal members of the court. When the question was asked (paraphrased) "Why would anyone vote for Donald Trump", I think a reasonable answer is that Stephen Breyer is 82 years old, implying that there may be another opportunity to nominate a justice soon. There seems to be a trend over the past 20 or 30 years for Democratic and Republican presidents to nominate judges they think most in line with their party's principles, hoping they'll bring a little activism to the bench, so one reason to vote for any President is their potential to add jurists with an ideology similar to your own.
    That seems a far fetched reason to me. Already the court is packed by conservatives. 6-3 is over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    No. You are mistaken. Half the country embraced this man, even knowing all the evil that was done. More people voted for Trump this time than last time (in actual numbers, not talking percentages). That's not going away anytime soon.
    Sure doesn't say much for our country does it?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Now that will be high drama. You have to feel for all those county clerks trying to count votes with the whole world peering over their shoulders.
    Yeah, and whose fault is that?

I think you make a very good point. I know and love some very nice people who are Trump supporters, and it's both too simplistic and inaccurate to paint them all as Nazis and racists.
    But then there were probably plenty of nice people who were Nazis back in the day (if you call yourself a Nazi in 2020, I'm not going to say you are a nice person), and plenty of otherwise nice people now and in the past who who are racist.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Yeah, and whose fault is that?
    Those who value freedom and democracy?

Is there something wrongvwith providing transparancy for these important votes?

Am I the only one who remembers the year 2000 when we still didn’t know was president at Thanksgiving time? I remember that distinctly because we traveled down to Texas to visit my mother over that holiday and we went through Austin. We stopped at the governor’s mansion and saw all of the national news crews hanging around GW and Laura Bush. It was an exciting time.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    That seems a far fetched reason to me. Already the court is packed by conservatives. 6-3 is over the top.
    The court may contain more jurists nominated by Republicans but based upon several of their records I'd have a hard time believing their potential conservative ideologies got in the way of justice. Maybe a President Harris will have better luck when she increases the number of jurists to 12 or 15 and does a mass nomination of judges who've promised to decide cases in the way Democrats demand.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Am I the only one who remembers the year 2000 when we still didn’t know was president at Thanksgiving time?
    We left the country for two weeks in Europe the weekend before that election, it was the only time we've ever voted by mail. We thought for sure it would all be over by the time we returned, but it wasn't. I seem to recall at least a week or two of hanging chads and other related foolishness after we returned, followed by 8 years of the same hateful rhetoric from Democrats we've enjoyed these past 4.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    We left the country for two weeks in Europe the weekend before that election, it was the only time we've ever voted by mail. We thought for sure it would all be over by the time we returned, but it wasn't. I seem to recall at least a week or two of hanging chads and other related foolishness after we returned, followed by 8 years of the same hateful rhetoric from Democrats we've enjoyed these past 4.
    I remember those days. The fake brooks brothers protest eventually followed by the only vote that mattered. 5-4 on party lines installing W as president.

At least this time we’re actually getting a full vote count. The sad part about the current situation is that we have a president, a ****ING PRESIDENT, without a shred of proof trying hard to sow doubt on the election process. Thankfully it’s not working but the damage he’s doing to this country is much bigger than all the republican Pollyannas are willing to see and admit. Anyone who wants confirmation just needs to go read the comments on pretty much any news article about any aspect of the vote counting.

Thread Information