Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Day-After Thoughts on the Election So Far

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I believe the ballots still are being counted in PA (20 electoral votes), GA (16), MI (16), NC (15), WI (10), NV (6) and AK (3).

Decided states give Biden 238 electoral votes and Trump 213. Either candidate would win with 270 or more electoral votes. By the end of today 11/4 we should know the score in GA, MI, WI and AK. By the end of 11/6 we should have a result from PA. By the end of 11/12 we should have the results from NC and NV.

There possibly may be recounts where the results are extremely close.

In the two Wisconsin counties I know best (Price and Marathon) Donald Trump won a larger percentage of the votes versus Biden in 2020 than versus Clinton in 2016. No matter how much Trump is disliked by the minority (about 36-40% in Price and Marathon Counties), the President to be sworn in January 2021 may yearn for "One nation, indivisible".
    This morning in Wisconsin, I understand with almost all the votes counted, Biden is leading by about 20,000. This is way closer than the polls had indicated: they showed Biden ahead by 6-7%. The Trump people are already demanding a recount, but itís hard to see that putting him over the top here.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    This morning in Wisconsin, I understand with almost all the votes counted, Biden is leading by about 20,000. This is way closer than the polls had indicated: they showed Biden ahead by 6-7%. The Trump people are already demanding a recount, but it’s hard to see that putting him over the top here.

YEAH... YEAH.... YAY!!! Come on MI.........

I'm disappointed in my fellow Americans. Its clear that a large number of people are ok with the nastiness, lying, bullying, incompetence, wishful thinking, blaming nature of this administration. I sort of understood the 2016 vote and its "what have you got to lose?" message. But its different now, people know what they are getting and they are not only ok with that, but excited and enthused about that. It makes me sad.
    + 1

Things that were once impossible to fathom have become commonplace. Our sitting President went on national tv in the middle of the night and announced his plans to have the supreme court force all the states stop counting ballots immediately. What next? He sends the National Guard to burn the ballots so they can't be counted? Preposterous, right? Maybe.
    there are all those votes the post office (deliberately) "lost"

But yea very right wing election in every way even if Biden wins and I dearly hope so. People don't believe a better world is possible (oh I know Biden isn't the man to strongly deliver it or anything, but the whole election). They think things have to suck and so are just resigned to it and vote for more of the suck if anything else seems more scary.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I'm disappointed in my fellow Americans. Its clear that a large number of people are ok with the nastiness, lying, bullying, incompetence, wishful thinking, blaming nature of this administration. I sort of understood the 2016 vote and its "what have you got to lose?" message. But its different now, people know what they are getting and they are not only ok with that, but excited and enthused about that. It makes me sad.
    I don't get it either. Maybe the social scientist sort will offer some reason. To think that if it were not for a global pandemic, Trump might have easily won and it would not even be close. As long as the Senate remains GOP and Biden is declared winner, I picture Mitch playing the same obstructive role he played with Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I more and more believe that America will end out splitting up and that this is a good thing.
    I think that if you zoom in on the maps, you'll find that we all live next to one another, not neatly divided into this foolish "red/blue" model, and that there is no "split" possible that doesn't involve the political equivalent of ethnic cleansing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I don't get it either. Maybe the social scientist sort will offer some reason.
    The reason is simple. The Trump phenomenon represents a large middle finger extended to a tragically arrogant cultural left. Is it a stupid and self-destructive gesture? Most certainly. But it is real and heartfelt nonetheless.

This limbo state is what I expected, although certainly not what I was hoping for. I'm almost afraid to even dare hope for a Biden win. I'm disappointed in my fellow Americans as well, Herbgeek. Trump is the archetype of sleaze and it boggles my mind that anyone wants him as the leader of our country.

I look forward to the day when we have a president who understands the difference between voting and tabulating votes. Whether through stupidity of malice itís not good. It amazes me that 40-some percent of the country approve of that type of behavior enough to vote for it a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    YEAH... YEAH.... YAY!!! Come on MI.........
    MI and NV voting for Biden would give him 270 Electoral College votes. Last time I looked, Biden was leading in both states. As the afternoon sun sinks lower in the sky, and the Sundowner color shift affects a certain number of brains, I expect loud curses. But at this point it sure looks like Biden will be the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think that if you zoom in on the maps, you'll find that we all live next to one another, not neatly divided into this foolish "red/blue" model, and that there is no "split" possible that doesn't involve the political equivalent of ethnic cleansing.
    Exactly. It would be cities against rural areas. Not something that can happen without a horrific outcome.

Thread Information