Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Blue!

I never answer if the number isn't in my contact list. 99% of the time it's either the people worried about my social security account, or the people worried that the (non-existent) warranty on my 18 year old car is about to expire, or the Chinese bank people (they are probably worried too, but since I don't speak Chinese I can't say that with certainty.). If I were a quadruple amputee I'd still have enough fingers and toes to count the times I've missed an important call by not answering unknown numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    IL: Caller ID is one of my very favorite modern inventions! We probably only answer 1% of the calls we receive.
    Dont you hsve to pay for caller ID? Besides, I have a retro wall phone that doesn’t have any place for a read out to tell me who’s calling.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Dont you hsve to pay for caller ID? Besides, I have a retro wall phone that doesn’t have any place for a read out to tell me who’s calling.
    It depends on your plan what you pay. I have digital phone service (VOIP, I believe ) and the plan includes the internet, x-Canada calling 24/7, call answer, call display, call e-message and a minimal charge for calling the US and elsewhere. The disadvantage is that when the power is out, so is my phone so I take my cellphone with me at night.
    Those retro phones were a part of my early life and easy to adjust to one's height. It brings back memories of party line conversations and the snoopy listener which actually lasted quite a long time in the countryside.

Once DH and I were coming back from visiting family in the east and had driven through Quebec. Someone phoned our house before we got back and a neighbour learned that it was the Quebec police who made a number of calls trying to connect with us. No further details were shared with the neighbour. When we got home we learned from the police that we had been accused to leaving the scene of an accident in Montreal. Turned out there was a scam going on against out-of-province visitors to Montreal trying to accuse them of crashing into cars and leaving the scene of the accident. DH explained our visit passing through and other needed details and the officer told us not to worry about it. That neighbour who had initially answered the party line kept asking us how our holiday had gone and we said 'fine'. Other neighbours questioned us as well. It was amusing to see the nosiness involved. Funny how we forget these things.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Since I haven't had a landline in over a decade I can't answer the question about cost, but I seem to recall from back in my youth that people who wanted caller ID on an antique phone had a separate display that plugged into the phone jack and then the phone into the caller ID display in the same way that an old school answering machine was used.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    It depends on your plan what you pay. I have digital phone service (VOIP, I believe ) and the plan includes the internet, x-Canada calling 24/7, call answer, call display, call e-message and a minimal charge for calling the US and elsewhere. The disadvantage is that when the power is out, so is my phone so I take my cellphone with me at night.
    Those retro phones were a part of my early life and easy to adjust to one's height. It brings back memories of party line conversations and the snoopy listener which actually lasted quite a long time in the countryside.

Once DH and I were coming back from visiting family in the east and had driven through Quebec. Someone phoned our house before we got back and a neighbour learned that it was the Quebec police who made a number of calls trying to connect with us. No further details were shared with the neighbour. When we got home we learned from the police that we had been accused to leaving the scene of an accident in Montreal. Turned out there was a scam going on against out-of-province visitors to Montreal trying to accuse them of crashing into cars and leaving the scene of the accident. DH explained our visit passing through and other needed details and the officer told us not to worry about it. That neighbour who had initially answered the party line kept asking us how our holiday had gone and we said 'fine'. Other neighbours questioned us as well. It was amusing to see the nosiness involved. Funny how we forget these things.
    Geez, how long ago was this??? The only people I ever knew to have a party line were my very rural grandparents when I was a kid back in the 70's/80's. By the early 80's it had been reduced down to one other "party" and the system had gotten sophisticated enough that it only rang at whoever's house was being called, although you could still pick up the phone and interrupt the other party if they were talking to someone. By the mid-80's even that got dropped and my grandparents had a private line.

We had a party line when I was a kid. That would have been the 1960’s.

We had a party line when I was a kid. That would have been the 1960’s.
    Grandparents and aunt in rural Ohio all had party lines in the '60s.

jp1, you are making me laugh. The 70's and 80's are not that long ago. The man on the moon moment was in the 60's. Technology has developed rapidly. Did I read somewhere that the development doubles every year so what was new in the 70's is very passe now. My 16 year old DGS was telling me how much technology had changed since he was 12.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My grandparents had a party line up through the late 60's, we kids were known to pick up the phone and listen in whenever we were fairly sure Grandma wouldn't catch us. Their ring was one long and two shorts. My parents didn't have a phone at all until we moved into town when I was in the 6th grade and it was a private line. Back in those days they prefaced different phone exchanges with a word where the first two letters corresponded to the first two numbers in the phone number, ours was GRanite 1-1247 and my grandmothers was NIagara 9-3458. My mother still has that number.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

We don’t pay for them.
    Reread!!!!!!!!

Accounts PAYABLE, not receivable. Where they pay you for disposal of the trash they mail you.

I don't know for sure when my grandmothers party line became a single line, but memory says in the 80's. After I bought the house, I had my own number, but somewhere, there was still some sort of switch that had them crossed. I called the phone company, from a neighbors, when my phone was shut off and was current on the bill. They were trying to figure out why, and when I asked why, that was what was told to me.
    If it weren't for 50% taxes (doubling the bill) and the removal of payphones, I still wouldn't have a cell phone.

Thread Information