Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Blue!

I have a landline too. Keep it in case of power outages and when giving credit card or personal info over the phone. Used to be that cell calls could be intercepted. Not sure if that is still true? Have other phones in the house that have caller ID. Took a “How to protect yourself from fraud and unscrupulous people” class one time and was told not to answer calls from unknown numbers. Told of numerous cases of your voice being recorded and used in dubious situations. Such as the word yes.... to get you on the hook for things. Hard to dispute because it WAS your voice giving permission. Also, interestingly, this election we have had few robocalls. Perhaps because we don’t answer the phone.??

We don't pay extra for caller ID. We have an older style landline on the kitchen wall, but we also have a set of 3 cordless units throughout the house and those have the caller ID display.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    We don't pay extra for caller ID. We have an older style landline on the kitchen wall, but we also have a set of 3 cordless units throughout the house and those have the caller ID display.
    Exactly the same here.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Rob you didn't answer my question.
    Sorry, I just saw it. So-so. We are thinking of retirement in Columbia, actually - much safer than it once was and cheap. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Sorry, I just saw it. So-so. We are thinking of retirement in Columbia, actually - much safer than it once was and cheap. Rob
    Have you been there to check it out?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Have you been there to check it out?
    No. And yes....would not move there sight unseen. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Since I haven't had a landline in over a decade I can't answer the question about cost, but I seem to recall from back in my youth that people who wanted caller ID on an antique phone had a separate display that plugged into the phone jack and then the phone into the caller ID display in the same way that an old school answering machine was used.
    Yes, that’s how I had caller ID around 1997 or so. I think it was $5/month.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    The grass is always greener ... or is it?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...43f_story.html

What does it say, Yppej? I always get a paywall with the Washington Post, unfortunately.

Yppej
    It's about police brutality in Colombia including in this small country since 2017

40,481 documented cases of physical violence,
    639 homicides,
    241 sexual assaults,

and harassment of protestors. Some victims are Afro Colombian and some parallels to George Floyd are drawn.

Thread Information