Thread: Here's a surprise for me.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Here's a surprise for me.....

One interesting development for me in this Election? I am seeing members of the US military as much more human and not as foreign now (what I mean by foreign is my perception of their hive-like, non-thinking obedience to orders).

Well I stand corrected! We have seen numerous instances of the US military, especially after this Summer's photo opp stunt at that DC park across the street from the White House, turning on/siding against Mr. Trump. Gotta give the military a little credit - here they did not fit the image i have of them at all. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    One interesting development for me in this Election? I am seeing members of the US military as much more human and not as foreign now (what I mean by foreign is my perception of their hive-like, non-thinking obedience to orders).

Well I stand corrected! We have seen numerous instances of the US military, especially after this Summer's photo opp stunt at that DC park across the street from the White House, turning on/siding against Mr. Trump. Gotta give the military a little credit - here they did not fit the image i have of them at all. Rob
    It's refreshing to see the top brass speaking out against Trump's transgressions. I'm wary of both the military and the police; I'd like to see extremists--like the Oath Keepers--kicked out of both.

So you’ve come to the conclusion the military is staffed by human beings? What a wonderful tribute for Veterans Day.

I’m sure past and present service members everywhere will bask in the warmth of your approval.

Rob, all 3 of my husbands were in the military and my stepson is career military. All the men in my family were in both world wars (obviously the ones of that generation). I also lived in Wichita that has a huge base and was friends with some of them. They are just people but have agreed to put their lives on the line when needed. During wartime soldiers need to rely on their training to survive. They can’t sit around debating what to do. Many that survived have greatly suffered from all kinds of disabilities and as a country we have failed our vets no matter who is in power.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Rob, all 3 of my husbands were in the military and my stepson is career military. All the men in my family were in both world wars (obviously the ones of that generation). I also lived in Wichita that has a huge base and was friends with some of them. They are just people but have agreed to put their lives on the line when needed. During wartime soldiers need to rely on their training to survive. They can’t sit around debating what to do. Many that survived have greatly suffered from all kinds of disabilities and as a country we have failed our vets no matter who is in power.
    When I see all these yahoos driving monster trucks, flying American flags the size of bed sheets, and proclaiming themselves "patriots," I wonder how many of them put their lives on the line--as my father and others of my younger relatives did--to protect what that banner stood for. They came home with little fanfare and continued to be responsible citizens who supported the rights of all of us, not just white punks.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    They came home with little fanfare and continued to be responsible citizens who supported the rights of all of us, not just white punks.
    And we still do, not that anyone notices.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    People notice. I notice. I thank for service done and being done. I've been thanked for serving.

Yes, it IS noticed.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Bad character eventually exposes itself, while good character often flies under the radar.

Thread Information