Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving for two?

I like duck instead of turkey- its something you don't have every day and so seems more festive to me than cooking a chicken. Its also easy to just get a duck breast for just 2 people. Duck has all the goodness of turkey (the smell! the taste of dark meat!) but more intense.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Since some family (mine and bfs) will probably try to insist on things even though it's going to just be hoping the weather is good enough to meet outside (i.e. no rain mostly, hopefully not too California cold) or no go, the thought for one is to have turkey sandwiches and then I don't know. I think I remember nightmare thanksgiving/christmas scenarios before, my family tends to get into fights about what the food should be, insult me if I see them the day after thanksgiving rather than day of, but I'm pretty used to them and it usually right rolls off me. And my bfs family was shaming toward me, to the point I was utterly crushed, a weapon I didn't anticipate. Eh yea ought to be Thanksgiving for two.
    A Thanksgiving for two sounds perfect, under the circumstances.
    One Thanksgiving, the Beloved and I had a vegetarian dinner at the Bamboo Garden in Seattle. I've never enjoyed TG; it was one of the best.

Well, depending on the weather... look at other options for sharing time together. Try for a spontaneous sharing with another.

We are having an amazingly warm early November so not knowing what the weather ahead and Covid would allow, this past Saturday I texted both DD's and asked if they and family would like to meet at noon, Sunday, at a midpoint between us off Hwy 401. All agreed!
    I ran around buying some special items like bushels of fresh local apples, apple donuts (they are so good!), and other delicious items. They made the same efforts. We had a lovely visit sitting outside eating a takeout lunch with donuts and apples for dessert. I got my hugs, we exchanged our gifts and got caught up with each other. Then we turned around and I was home in 2 1/2 hours. It was a lovely and needed break for all of us. Extraordinary circumstances require unique solutions.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

DH agreed to take and 8-hour shift on the holiday, so I think we'll just treat it like a non-holiday.

DH requested pork roast with all the fixings. Works for me!

We two plan in roasting a turkey. We plan on carving half of it for ourselves and quick-delivering the other half to a couple who have some mobility problems.

Like razz said, "Extraordinary circumstances require unique solutions."

We will buy at least one turkey. We always do, because it is cheap. We may or may not cook it for Thanksgiving Day. Usually we dont make a big deal if the day.

We've been having this discussion, too. Just the two of us. Stuffed pork chops? Turkey thighs may be an option. There's a turkey farm near by so I'll call today to see if we have to order ahead. Little sister who always has it and wants lots of people suggested a ZOOM or SKYPE dinner time- at least at the beginning. Her sides are great....we will miss them and of course the family.

Razz, How cool to do a spur of the moment Thanksgiving! Congratulations on getting it together. That may keep you going through the cold days.

Sounds like a fun hook-up, razz!! With different kinds of efforts, things can still be worked out for a fun time. I'm glad you all were able to get together.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I frequently simmer a chicken, just water and a bird. This yields absolutely moist and unseasoned poultry and a pot of unseasoned chicken stock. If I have a soup, stew, gravy, or sauce in mind, I've been known to do this a day ahead and then pick the chicken and use the meat.

I love this for a few reasons: you can make whatever you want with the meat and stock. It requires no thermometer. I end up with two yummy types of food instead of one. And, finally? If I'm going to be in the kitchen anyway, I can start it and it pretty much requires no minding until it's done, unless you don't have enough water in it.

I got the idea from the Frugal Gourmet, but he used TURKEY!

Thread Information