Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving for two?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanksgiving for two?

Looks like so many, we will not be traveling to dine with family and or friends on T'Giving. I am trying to come up with a simple but tasty menu for just DH and I. Neither one of us care for turkey so that's out. Or shall we just get it to go? Thoughts? What are you having?

We will be doing immediate family Thanksgiving as well, pinkytoe. However, I have been requested to make a turkey - lol. I don't mind as it means a lot of leftovers. I'll probably add either rice or mashed potatoes (hmmm... or maybe mashed califlower!), cranberry sauce, salad, etc. If I get help in the kitchen, I'll make a bigger meal than if I end up doing it myself. We'll see.

As to suggestions, I know other family members actually do ham or lasagna. Maybe some ham steaks with a few "holiday" type sides?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

There are three of us in our covid cluster, and we aren't huge turkey fans. We are also budget watching, so dining out isn't high on our spending list. We're having Cornish game hens, 1 each (mostly because they are so cute....) with some small favorite sides - corn pudding, mashed potatoes, and pie - lots of pie! We'll probably troll the internet for another interesting or weird side dish to try in a small quantity. If we were to buy food out, we'd most likely get a pound or so of pulled pork (real BBQ, NOT that stuff with cooked in sauce) , or some lovely corned beef, and still provide our own sides.

Some of the family members we would normally eat with may be going elsewhere, so my plans to deliver dessert and chat from a distance for a short while may not happen. They aren't as strictly careful about distancing and staying home as we are. While that bothers me in many ways, I am selfishly glad that the guilt of thinking of them on their own during the holidays as been assuaged.

I will mostly miss my second child, who is more of a social butterfly and lives in a large city. We talk on the phone, and they have been here for summer holidays/birthdays as we could eat and talk outside, but the weather is much more iffy now and will soon be too cold for patio dining. It will be a strange holiday season.

DH just suggested we just buy a large chicken and roast that with the usual sides so might go that route. I would love to do immediate family (maybe next year) but they are states away.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    DH just suggested we just buy a large chicken and roast that with the usual sides so might go that route. I would love to do immediate family (maybe next year) but they are states away.
    That sounds like it would work. Oh, and my "immediate" family is just the household - dh, kids. I will miss getting together with the extended aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, etc. I think Thanksgiving is going to be the "practise" holiday for Christmas - which, again, probably will only be family members in-house. Thank goodness for skype!!!! It's not the same, but it does help.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

What about roasting a whole chicken and doing whatever sides you like?

Oops just saw that was already posted.

It will be Thanksgiving for two here. I'll probably put a small Turkey in the smoker with some apple wood chips for flavor, add a couple of side veggies and call it a holiday.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Probably doing takeout turkey dinners here, from a local chain DW really likes. Since their dinner is a carbfest, though, we may just order one meal, with extra turkey, and I'll prepare something fun that I can eat as a side. That's fine with me.

We'll probably still buy a turkey, though, as the good ones are on sale now, and we'll either freeze it (or keep it frozen) for another time or cook it, save some leftovers, and freeze the rest.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Since some family (mine and bfs) will probably try to insist on things even though it's going to just be hoping the weather is good enough to meet outside (i.e. no rain mostly, hopefully not too California cold) or no go, the thought for one is to have turkey sandwiches and then I don't know. I think I remember nightmare thanksgiving/christmas scenarios before, my family tends to get into fights about what the food should be, insult me if I see them the day after thanksgiving rather than day of, but I'm pretty used to them and it usually right rolls off me. And my bfs family was shaming toward me, to the point I was utterly crushed, a weapon I didn't anticipate. Eh yea ought to be Thanksgiving for two.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information