Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/10 shipwreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

11/10 shipwreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

At 2:30 PM 11/9/1975 the Edmund Fitzgerald, a 728 foot long ship crewed by 29 men, laden with taconite iron ore pellets, departed Superior WI.

Early 11/10/75 a gale warning was issued for winds gusting to 50 knots, and 12-16 foot seas.

The storm intensified all day, by 5:30 PM wind was gusting to 70 knots, seas were 18 to 25 feet.

The Edmund Fitzgerald was on the radar and in radio contact with another ship, the Arthur M. Anderson. Captain Ernest McSorley's last radio transmission to the Anderson was, "We are holding our own."

http://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/edmun...ateful-journey

And, of course,

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We think of that song and that story a lot around here as we live right by Lake Michigan. One of the young sailors from NMC died on that ship.
    Now that I have lived through Northern Michigan Novembers, I understand the violent winds a little better.

She sits 530ft deep, a bit inside the Canadian border. She was declared a grave site in the mid 90s.

This is an interview with Capt Bernie Cooper of the Arthur M Anderson, who was shadowing the Fitz the night she went down.

I like this video of the song better. Has actual footage of the Fitz.

We visited Superior WI summer of 2019. That song went through my head the entire time. It still grabs your heart all these years later.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

That was stirring.
    They don't make lakes like that around here...

Side note - the Anderson is still sailing.

A day for memory, and tied in my mind with Veteran's day... for some reason, I remember exactly where my 19 year old self was and what I was doing when my cousin came in and told us about her sinking. It's been etched in my memory all these years, along with the Kennedy assassinations, watching the moon landing/Neil Armstrong stepping out on the moon, and 9-11. A few years ago, I got to see Gordon Lightfoot live, and of course, that song brought tears. Tradd, thanks for the note on the Anderson. If I were closer to the lakes, I'd be a carrier watcher, lol.

I grew up in Huron, Ohio, and the Fitz was a regular visitor to our town when I was a kid.

Thread Information