Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerusalem artichokes aka sunchokes recipes needed

Jerusalem artichokes aka sunchokes recipes needed

I've been given about 3 quarts of these artichokes. i did a Google search for recipes and find that they need to be sliced thinly before cooking. Are they like celery or carrots or garlic or onions? How did you add them to your meal planning and what do you like about them?

I might try the usual mix of diced onion and garlic gently sauteed in oil till soft and then add chicken bouillon. Then what?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    I grew some one year and they gave me the worst gas of my life. There is a reason these are usually fed to animals not people. You are forewarned.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I grew some one year and they gave me the worst gas of my life. There is a reason these are usually fed to animals not people. You are forewarned.
    I have heard this too, although I've never tried them myself.

I have only tried them raw. They can also be frozen. They remind me of water chestnuts.

Never had the gastric problems with them but I tend to have fewer issues like that than most people (so I'm told; yay).

I would treat them as I would potatoes -- slice thin/julienne and sauté or chunk them up and toss them into a stew or soup. Fresh and cut thin/julienned on a salad would be good, too.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I vaguely remember that they're high in resistant starch (a prebiotic), and very good for your microbiome--that could explain the digestive discomfort.

I don't know if references to other forums is illegal or not. But permies(dot)com has a huge thread about Jer. chokes. Look for curing, storing and cooking sunchokes (an alternate name).

Not a fan. I thought they tasted like dirt.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    I don't know if references to other forums is illegal or not. But permies(dot)com has a huge thread about Jer. chokes. Look for curing, storing and cooking sunchokes (an alternate name).
    Interesting site to explore, NewGig. Thanks. I am going to have trying different recipes for fun in mini editions of each
    https://www.permies.com/t/sunchokes
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Not a fan. I thought they tasted like dirt.
    I think it depends where you get them. I got some from a CSA and they were wonderful and then bought at a farmers' market and they tasted terrible.

Thread Information