Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerusalem artichokes aka sunchokes recipes needed

I've never cooked with them and have only eaten them twice, both times at one of our favorite restaurants up in Sonoma wine country. The second time I saw them on the menu it had been a year since the first time. The chef has a large garden out behind the restaurant (which is currently her dining room since there's no inside dining) so it was probably that we were there both times when they happened to be ripe. When I saw them the second time I was like OMG! OMG! Sunchokes again! One of my super favorite food things but I've never seen them in a store. The dish I had (the same dish both times) was some sort of flaky white fish served on a bed of sunchokes and butter beans. Unfortunately I have no idea how specifically they were cooked.

I remember reading a Mother Earth article years ago where the family moved to Arkansas and subsisted on sunchokes for the first 18 months, as somehow that was all they were able to successfully grow.

Sunchokes are tenacious and perrenial. I don't fertilze mine, or weed them, or water them. And they come back bigger and better, year after year! I grow them, but don't cook with them, which is a total waste, I know, but it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    Sunchokes are tenacious and perrenial. I don't fertilze mine, or weed them, or water them. And they come back bigger and better, year after year! I grow them, but don't cook with them, which is a total waste, I know, but it's true.
    But they do have pretty flowers, don't they? I think flowers are worthwhile in their own right.

Edible, and pretty flowers. Maybe next spring I need to try and grow them.

Thread Information