Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Happy Veteran's Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes, it is for all veterans and Gold Star families. I was incorrect in calling it a lifetime pass because there is apparently no pass involved, just free admittance for anyone with the proper identification. https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/ve...ree-access.htm
    Thanks!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Apparently, in Ohio, you have to ask for that designation on your license and I never have. I wonder why a DD214 is not on the list of approved identifiers?
    Alan, a DD214 IS an acceptable doc in OHIO since 2011: as noted below:

The “Armed Forces” stamp, which has been in existence since December 2009, enables these
    veterans to have a photo ID as a sign of their service. To be eligible to receive the stamp, at no extra
    cost, veterans must provide to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles a copy of their DD 214 or DD 215 when
    they renew their driver’s license or military ID. Other forms of identification acceptable to receive
    the stamp include a VA ID, a current military ID, a leave and earnings statement, or a copy of orders.

http://www.ohiomoaa.org/documents/armedforces-stamp.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Alan, a DD214 IS an acceptable doc in OHIO since 2011: as noted below:

The “Armed Forces” stamp, which has been in existence since December 2009, enables these
    veterans to have a photo ID as a sign of their service. To be eligible to receive the stamp, at no extra
    cost, veterans must provide to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles a copy of their DD 214 or DD 215 when
    they renew their driver’s license or military ID. Other forms of identification acceptable to receive
    the stamp include a VA ID, a current military ID, a leave and earnings statement, or a copy of orders.

http://www.ohiomoaa.org/documents/armedforces-stamp.pdf
    Yes, I'm aware of the requirements to have the stamp on your license, I've simply never done it although my wife has. It's bugging me a bit now because I just renewed my Ohio license two weeks ago.

In my original question I was wondering why the National Park Service did not list a DD214 as a qualifying document at time of entry.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Alan, I wonder if you can get a new copy with the proper designation. It might be worth an internet check or phone call. Maryland's DOT site is very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Alan, I wonder if you can get a new copy with the proper designation. It might be worth an internet check or phone call. Maryland's DOT site is very helpful!
    I called this morning, they'd be happy to replace my new license with another including my veteran status for $30. I'll pass on that till next time around since my wife has the designation on hers we can use at National Parks. It's really not that big a deal for us since visiting one of our National Parks with our grandson several years ago the park staff gave us a lifetime pass due to our grandson's disability. We've used that exclusively since then but I feel a little bit guilty using it when he's not with us. I sleep better with a clear conscience.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I hear you Alan.

Thread Information