Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Veteran's Day!

Idahl and Alan, I am confused by your posts and their intent.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Plus, I’ll get a free flag for my coffin when the time comes.
    I don't know if my kids even realize they will get this when I die, even though I'll be cremated. Should probably tell them. LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Idahl and Alan, I am confused by your posts and their intent.
    We're veterans. It's nice to be remembered by our friends and neighbors one day a year but a free burger, a flag and 20 sq. ft. of land when we die are nice too.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, we're now entitled to a free lifetime pass to our National Parks too. That one was a long time coming.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I didn’t know about the National Parks pass.

My grandfather referred to it as “Armistice Day” his whole life. He was in the 33rd Infantry Division with the AEF, and came home with a Silver Star and a Purple Heart. My family has maintained a century-long record unblemished by gallantry ever since.

I didn’t know about the National Parks pass.
    It's a brand new benefit, effective today. https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p...ng-next-month/
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I finally get to use the veteran logo on my driver’s license!

Apparently, in Ohio, you have to ask for that designation on your license and I never have. I wonder why a DD214 is not on the list of approved identifiers?

What is the benefit of that? My DH is a veteran.

ETA... guess this would be one reason?
    For free access to the sites, veterans will have to present a Department of Defense Identification Card, a Veteran Health Identification Card, a government-issued Veteran ID Card or a state-issued U.S. driver’s license or identification card confirming an individual’s status as a veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It's a brand new benefit, effective today. https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p...ng-next-month/
    I didn't realize this either. Thanks for the link; will be checking it out.

Edited to add: What I am reading says vets with disability ratings... I'm a bit confused.

Got this off the application:

"A document issued by a Federal agency, such as the U.S. Department of Veterans Administration, which attests thatyou have beenmedically determined to be eligible to receive Federal benefits as a result of blindness or permanentdisability. Otheracceptable Federal agency documents include proof of receipt of Social Security Disability Income(SSDI) orSupplemental Security Income (SSI)"

So this is not for ALL veterans?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I didn't realize this either. Thanks for the link; will be checking it out.

Edited to add: What I am reading says vets with disability ratings... I'm a bit confused.

Got this off the application:

"A document issued by a Federal agency, such as the U.S. Department of Veterans Administration, which attests thatyou have beenmedically determined to be eligible to receive Federal benefits as a result of blindness or permanentdisability. Otheracceptable Federal agency documents include proof of receipt of Social Security Disability Income(SSDI) orSupplemental Security Income (SSI)"

So this is not for ALL veterans?
    Yes, it is for all veterans and Gold Star families. I was incorrect in calling it a lifetime pass because there is apparently no pass involved, just free admittance for anyone with the proper identification. https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/ve...ree-access.htm

Thread Information