Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Georgia on my Mind

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,251

    Georgia on my Mind

    With North Carolina and Alaska Senate seats remaining in GOP hands, the Democrats would need to win both Georgia runoff elections to get to an even split that would allow the VP to break ties.

    I see Andrew Yang says heís moving to Georgia so he can vote in the runoffs, and urging others to do so as well. I donít know if such carpetbaggery is legal under Georgia law, but it strikes me as a bit extreme. Especially if someone already cast a vote in another state.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    6,145
    Except the runoff election is not an extension of the past election. It's a separate one. A Georgia resident turning 18 between november 3rd and january 5th, for example, can register and vote in the runoff.

    I would agree, though, that that seems extreme. And possibly unnecessary. Trump already seems to be doing a good job of shredding both republicans' chances.

  3. #3
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,602
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I would agree, though, that that seems extreme. And possibly unnecessary. Trump already seems to be doing a good job of shredding both republicans' chances.
    Oh I don't know about that, Trump's out of the picture now and it's the Senate at stake. I think the Republicans are well positioned to take both seats since the Democrats depend so much on young, single focused voters who will probably ignore the runoff.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  4. #4
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    6,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Oh I don't know about that, Trump's out of the picture now and it's the Senate at stake. I think the Republicans are well positioned to take both seats since the Democrats depend so much on young, single focused voters who will probably ignore the runoff.
    Trump is most definitely not out of the picture in Georgia. Not when he's forced the two republican candidates to make baseless accusations of election fraud leveled at the republican secretary of state.

  5. #5
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,602
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Trump is most definitely not out of the picture in Georgia. Not when he's forced the two republican candidates to make baseless accusations of election fraud leveled at the republican secretary of state.
    I disagree, without Bad Orange Man on the ballot I just can't see young Democrats bothering. Traditionally, in off year elections, voter turnout is generally well under 50% of eligible voters with the slightly bigger decline among Democrats. I predict a sweep for the Republicans even with the expected hundreds of millions of dollars from coastal elites directed against them in Georgia.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I disagree, without Bad Orange Man on the ballot I just can't see young Democrats bothering. Traditionally, in off year elections, voter turnout is generally well under 50% of eligible voters with the slightly bigger decline among Democrats. I predict a sweep for the Republicans even with the expected hundreds of millions of dollars from coastal elites directed against them in Georgia.
    Stacy Abrahms and others are working hard to make everyone aware. I hope it works.

  7. #7
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,602
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Stacy Abrahms and others are working hard to make everyone aware. I hope it works.
    Aware of what? The runoff election? Is it a secret?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    4,713
    Hunker down, Hairy Dawgs,
    Hunker down for a fight!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Aware of what? The runoff election? Is it a secret?
    Obviously, that it is especially imperative to vote .... a lot rides on it. As you indicated above, turnout is not as high in off year elections. Many are working in GA to get the word out!

  10. #10
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,527
    I think young people are waking up to the fact that their vote absolutely counts (if they haven't already), and that elections have (sometimes dire) consequences. Bless Stacey Abrams for her tireless work to secure voting rights and get out the vote.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •