Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embracing the Label

Yppej

Embracing the Label

I was radio channel surfing and came across an oldies station. They proudly proclaimed, "It's boomer time."

Having been dismissively charged with being a boomer (which I am not) I thought this was interesting, and maybe analogous to the claiming of the word queer.

Maybe so. My problem is it sounds like the name of a labrador retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Maybe so. My problem is it sounds like the name of a labrador retriever.
    I'm going to keep that in mind for when I get my next dog, which will probably be a lab!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Having been dismissively charged with being a boomer (which I am not) I thought this was interesting, and maybe analogous to the claiming of the word queer.
    No.

Did they play the theme toon to battlestar Galactica?

Yppej
    TMS I don't know that song so I can't tell you. Sorry.

I have no idea what "boomer" would mean in that context unless it was a "really oldies" station, meaning 1950s or very early 1960s pop, which is possible. Even "classic rock" seems to have given way to 1980s pop on the nostalgia airwaves. Though I'm obviously not walking around in the world as much as I used to, when I do I now hear more Duran Duran or Devo than Aerosmith or Lynyrd Skynyrd, two bands I used to hear continuously out in the world when I was younger.

Yppej
    Yes, it was 50s and 60s music.

50s music is definitely too old to be boomer music, that's silent generation stuff.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    50s music is definitely too old to be boomer music, that's silent generation stuff.
    With all due respect, your chronology is wrong by ten years. The true Boomers were born between 1945 and 1954. We're the kids who watched the Mickey Mouse club (1955-1959) and Lassie (1957-1964) and Howdy Doody. Jon Provost, who played Timmy on Lassie, was born in 1950, right in the middle of the Boomer generation and thus was the perfect age for all of us to identify with his character on Lassie.

We turned 10 years old between 1956-1966, and ten is the age you leave little kid music behind and get your own radio so you can listen to teenage music (pop/rock/top 40) instead of having to listen to what your parents listen to, so we were right in the heart of mid-50s music when it was new and during it's revival in the 1960s. We were the generation that went to Woodstock, and dreamed about hot rods and surfing, and grew long hair (even if we weren't really hippies), and did all the other things that are iconic of what 15-20 year olds were doing in the mid to late 60s.

In short, you're confusing Boomers with our younger siblings, Generation Jones (born 1955-1964). And most of Generation Jones was also familiar with 1950s-60s music because they spent the first 5-10 years of their life listening to their older siblings playing Boomer music.

Thread Information