Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Embracing the Label

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Having been dismissively charged with being a boomer (which I am not) I thought this was interesting, and maybe analogous to the claiming of the word queer.
    Based on the way I've heard young teens use the phrase "Ok, Boomer", it seems to be a putdown aimed at people who are too young to be Boomers but are expressing Boomer-type opinions/attitudes.

Dictionary.com says: ”Ok Boomer is a viral internet slang phrase used, often in a humorous or ironic manner, to call out or dismiss out-of-touch or closed-minded opinions associated with the Baby Boomer generation and older people more generally.”

IOW it's the currently hip way of calling someone an old fogey, Especially if they're not really old.

And the best reply I have heard, is Thanks, Tidepods.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    And the best reply I have heard, is Thanks, Tidepods.
    The Tidepods nickname falls far short as a nickname insult. It was based on a short-lived fad that was mostly just talked about and not done because it was obviously dangerous and stupid. So it doesn't really typify the people you're talking about.

It would be much more appropriate to call them tadpoles, which is timeless and clearly indicates that you think they're immature.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    The Tidepods nickname falls far short as a nickname insult. It was based on a short-lived fad
    Short lived fad, seems to be what boomer was around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Short lived fad, seems to be what boomer was around here.
    In what way?

I'm a Boomer, and obviously proud of it, but I'm also stuck with the perception that all of us people who were born between 1945 and 1954 are somehow the same and all think alike, which is obviously rubbish.

Or were you using the term Boomer in some other way, like the economic boom created by the Baby Boomers was a short-lived fad?

Elucidate please.

Short-lived fad nickname insult.

Thread Information