Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another medicare thread

Another medicare thread

Thanks in advance for anyone who can chime in here with more info about choosing a Medicare plan.

Our basic dilemma is still whether we should stay on my husband's employer health plan, and take Medicare A as a secondary. That is what the employer rep told him made sense, so he went on A this month, even though he was 65 earlier in the year. He declined B.

In March I will be 65, so we signed up for open enrollment for employer benefit again, since I need health insurance until March. At first I thought I'd just take only A and stay on employer benefit, but am a little worried about pre-existing conditions, and kind of want to go ahead and sign up for A, B, a Supplement plan from AARP, and D Drug Coverage in March.

It's probably cheaper to stay on work plan, but there is something good about getting on the whole shebang so I don't have to worry about changing if something happens to his employment or to him.

I've whittled it down to buying a G plan, since F is no longer available.

Do any of you have the High Deductible G plan, or the High Deductible F plan? It is so much cheaper!

On the other hand, one brush with an ER and you'd be at the deductible right away, so in effect, you are insuring yourself by coming up with the money a bit at a time rather than having to tap into savings for the deductible.

Anyway, anyone on F or G and/or High Deductible F or G?

I discovered that when we move, I will pay almost double for the supplement in Maine. This is a complete annoying bummer.

I almost hate to answer this because I don’t have details. I suppose I could go look them up. Right away, I will tell you that yes, I have a G plan. Is it high deductible? I don’t know. Monthly cost is $149.36. provider is Aetna.

I am vague about why we chose this other than our Medicare advisor, from what I can remember, suggested this is the most comprehensive plan for moving back-and-forth between geographic areas like Hermann and St. louis.

I'ts probably not high deductible with that price. Here in Michigan I think it's 129, and 219 in Maine.
    High deductible was 37 dollars.

DH reminded me that one aspect if Plan G was that we could sign up for it when we became Medicare eligible, but getting onto the plan later would require health evaluations.

our Medicare advisor calked it the “ Cadillac” plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    In March I will be 65, so we signed up for open enrollment for employer benefit again, since I need health insurance until March. At first I thought I'd just take only A and stay on employer benefit, but am a little worried about pre-existing conditions, and kind of want to go ahead and sign up for A, B, a Supplement plan from AARP, and D Drug Coverage in March.

It's probably cheaper to stay on work plan, but there is something good about getting on the whole shebang so I don't have to worry about changing if something happens to his employment or to him.
    My wife and are covered by Original Medicare A & B with AARP Supplement (United Health) and D (Instamed). The cost of the Supplement increases regularly as the insured person grows older (every 6 months). In comparing with the employer health plan costs, it may be possible to project each coverage into future years, with a little help from Human Resources at husband's employer, and the call center at United Health.

As to pre-existing conditions, the web page of AARP (linked below) offers an answer. If that does not tell you all that you want to know, then I would suggest contacting a human being. There also is a "Medicare Resource Center" with basic information that may be helpful, such as "Original Medicare vs Medicare Advantage".

Lechyd da! ... as they say in Wales.

http://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-...al-conditions/

We have to stay on my health plan for 3 1/2 years until he is 65. We will not go with a advantage plan because if you get a serious illness they can require you to go through step therapy before receiving the treatment you need. Plus you need to pass a medical exam to go back. I doubt we could pass it with our preexisting conditions. I am looking forward to getting off our employer insurance. The hmo went up to 1k/month 3 years ago so we switched to the ppo at 500. My husband broke his ankle and it has cost us 5k so far. They get you one way or another. Hoping that both of us on Medicare will be either cheaper monthly or cheaper deductible and co pay wise.

Thank you, this is really helpful. Like Terry, I want off the employer one.

We are in the middle of these decisions right now for DH's renewal. Insurance of any kind is the sticker in my side as it is all unnecessarily complicated and can result in hours of gnashing teeth. My supplemental Medicare coverage (and Rx) is covered through my employer at no cost to me which makes mine very simple. I can add DH to mine at around $325 a month but deductibles are pretty high so might as well find something cheaper. Right now, he has the cheapest Medigap plan (K) with United Health Care (around $40 a mo) and a low premium Rx plan through Wellcare (He calls it Hellcare since their admin process to sign up was pure torture.)We found it helpful last year when we first signed up to speak with the state eldercare office to get our questions answered. We were told then that if we planned on moving out of state in the near future to start with Medigap acoverage.

My parents went on Medicare A and B as soon as they were eligible, and they carried no other plans. They self insure for the rest. Pay for meds out of pocket.

I will buy a D plan when the time comes. I’m too risk averse for skipping part D. But I doubt I will ever but a secondary policy. People on Medicare seem to love it, and people on the private plans seem to have extremely high deductibles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    My parents went on Medicare A and B as soon as they were eligible, and they carried no other plans. They self insure for the rest. Pay for meds out of pocket.

I will buy a D plan when the time comes. I’m too risk averse for skipping part D. But I doubt I will ever but a secondary policy. People on Medicare seem to love it, and people on the private plans seem to have extremely high deductibles.
    If you are risk averse, I am surprised you do not plan to get a supplemental policy.

I have a Plan D for drugs but sometimes I just pay out-of-pocket directly to my doctor because it’s just easier.. Now that I have stability in prescriptions I will probably sit down and figure out where it is cheaper to get these drugs, from my physician or going through insurance at a pharmacy. They haven’t been very expensive which is why I’m not terribly concerned about it.

But the other stuff covered ny supplemental plans can add up to a lot of money

Thread Information