Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "You missed your calling!"

I can think of several heroic people I have known, and they were all quite modest and self-effacing. I guess I perceived them as heroic because they did courageous things, often at great personal cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I can think of several heroic people I have known, and they were all quite modest and self-effacing. I guess I perceived them as heroic because they did courageous things, often at great personal cost.
    Yes, that's it... I think the heroes are the people who push through fear and fight whatever the battle may be with no thought of self. The idea of following a calling sometimes involves personal sacrifice. And I'm not talking "let's build a statue in the town square" heroics. It can be the heroics of simply being ourselves and standing up for that. It can be the transgender person whose parents shut them out; it can be person whose parents pay for 3 years of Stanford for them to be a lawyer or doctor, but they quit just before graduation so they can become a farmer or a photographer. It can be the person who is completely comfortable but disrupts their comfort zone because they have a weird sense there's "something more" out there for them.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

To the original post of this thread, yes I have lived my calling.
    *I wanted a farm from age 10 and experienced owning two. The first was expropriated giving us a substantial financial boost. The last was a dream come true. until my DH passed and it became time to move into the next adventure of my life.
    * I wanted to be a lawyer advocating for children but recognized that I was way too immature and poor to do that but ended up advocating for change in oral health care, both legally and practically, for all ages which satisfied that wish to make a difference.
    * I wanted children and had two who are delightful adults with good marriages and securely employed.
    * I was iffy about a husband. I was too independent in my thinking to want anything less than a full partner in owning a farm. Fortunately, I met this smart remarkable man who became my best friend and willing to try adventures in life including the farming on a part-time basis. I learned so much from him.

As far as simple living impacting my life, DH was emphatic on living within our means so we developed the skills to do most things ourselves and now I am enjoying the results of our joint thrift and investments.
    I have traveled most continents in the world, driven across Canada but still have to go to the North West Territories as called under its old name.
    I am grateful for so many things and even with Covid find myself just enjoying a very simple but satisfying life. I like people, my privacy, my little beagle, my little house and have enough to satisfy my curiosity each day.
    There were peaks and valleys along the way but no significant regrets. Probably my bliss could be described as living life to its fullest and I am doing that.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    To the original post of this thread, yes I have lived my calling.
    *I wanted a farm from age 10 and experienced owning two. The first was expropriated giving us a substantial financial boost. The last was a dream come true. until my DH passed and it became time to move into the next adventure of my life.
    * I wanted to be a lawyer advocating for children but recognized that I was way too immature and poor to do that but ended up advocating for change in oral health care, both legally and practically, for all ages which satisfied that wish to make a difference.
    * I wanted children and had two who are delightful adults with good marriages and securely employed.
    * I was iffy about a husband. I was too independent in my thinking to want anything less than a full partner in owning a farm. Fortunately, I met this smart remarkable man who became my best friend and willing to try adventures in life including the farming on a part-time basis. I learned so much from him.

As far as simple living impacting my life, DH was emphatic on living within our means so we developed the skills to do most things ourselves and now I am enjoying the results of our joint thrift and investments.
    I have traveled most continents in the world, driven across Canada but still have to go to the North West Territories as called under its old name.
    I am grateful for so many things and even with Covid find myself just enjoying a very simple but satisfying life. I like people, my privacy, my little beagle, my little house and have enough to satisfy my curiosity each day.
    There were peaks and valleys along the way but no significant regrets. Probably my bliss could be described as living life to its fullest and I am doing that.
    Thanks, razz.. Perfect. Great examples.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Yppej
    I like the existentialist idea that there is no inherent meaning or purpose in life, the meaning is what you make it. So rather than some grand cosmic meaning my purpose is to do the best I can in the circumstances fate has placed me in with grace and equanimity, and to be of service to those who are in my path, most especially those whose welfare I am responsible for. It"s not about self-actualization.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I like the existentialist idea that there is no inherent meaning or purpose in life, the meaning is what you make it. So rather than some grand cosmic meaning my purpose is to do the best I can in the circumstances fate has placed me in with grace and equanimity, and to be of service to those who are in my path, most especially those whose welfare I am responsible for. It"s not about self-actualization.
    These are not mutually exclusive concepts: self actualization and service to the world/others.

Following one’s bliss may not include service to others, though. But it might.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    the meaning is what you make it. ....It"s not about self-actualization.
    Aren't those two concepts similar?

BTW, coincidentally I just read this:

“Man’s ideal state is realized when he has fulfilled the purpose for which he is born. And what is it that reason demands of him? Something very easy—that he live in accordance with his own nature.” -- Seneca

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Aren't those two concepts similar?

BTW, coincidentally I just read this:

“Man’s ideal state is realized when he has fulfilled the purpose for which he is born. And what is it that reason demands of him? Something very easy—that he live in accordance with his own nature.” -- Seneca
    The first is the attitude you bring, or endurance, to circumstances not of your choosing.

The second is being able to alter circumstances because you possess power. I see self-actualization as largely something privileged people get to pursue. Yes, I get some pockets of agency, but not the whole trajectory of my life. Though privileged people can also have wrenches thrown in their paths like a fatal illness that keep them from achieving self-actualization.

I agree with Jeppy that self actualization is pretty much something that privileged people get to pursue. It is a privilege to not be terrifically constrained by circumstances of your life

What about preparation meets opportunity? I know I sent out hundreds of resumes and went on MANY MANY interviews. Then, when I got a good job, I was told I was lucky. Sometimes you make your own luck and it is NOT privilege but hard work! Granted there are sometimes things out of your control but many times it is easier for someone to take the easy road and attribute success of others to luck or privilege.

Thread Information