Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Update on Wrists & Hands: A Vent

Ugh. 2020, amirite?

Seriously, it's sad to think of those skilled hands being stopped by the effort of daily life. I'm so sorry it has been one thing after another, SQ. I hope you can find some outlets for your art that are fulfilling.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I have hand arthritis and have a lot of cramping when I play my instruments. I am trying two salves--one is Herbal Lodge pain relief Minagin and the other is Cedar Ridge Oh My Aching Hands with emu oil. They do seem to help a little--and I am still trying to play through the pain a bit. Maybe try those?

I have found that just using the computer mouse for more than an hour a day causes my right hand to cramp up and hurt. It is scary when your hands don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I have found that just using the computer mouse for more than an hour a day causes my right hand to cramp up and hurt.
    I learned to mouse left-handed for that very reason. Took some of the load off my right hand and also guaranteed no one at work would use my computer!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I learned to mouse left-handed for that very reason. Took some of the load off my right hand and also guaranteed no one at work would use my computer!
    I use a trackball; not sure if it makes any difference, as I've used it for 20 years or so.

Steve: That is so funny! I am left-handed and I do everything left-handed except mouse. When I learned to use a computer at work they were all set up with the mice on the right side, and I didn't realize I could change it; I just adapted to living in a righty's world as I always have. When I did realize it, I decided it was good to have one activity that shifted some wear and tear to my right hand and I continue to mouse with my right hand to this day. I use a Logitech mouse with a rollerball on the side.

I second the suggestion for voice to text instead of typing. I’ve never used it on a computer, just my iPhone. Might take a bit to get used to, but it’s definitely something to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I second the suggestion for voice to text instead of typing. I’ve never used it on a computer, just my iPhone. Might take a bit to get used to, but it’s definitely something to try.
    I'll third it -- but puh-leeze proofread before clicking send! So many weird messages because Siri/Google/Cortana/whoever couldn't figure out just what was said...

SiouzQ.....Sorry I haven't kept up with things on the forum. Have you ever had a rheumatological workup?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I'll third it -- but puh-leeze proofread before clicking send! So many weird messages because Siri/Google/Cortana/whoever couldn't figure out just what was said...
    You talking to me, buddy?

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha I am so so so guilty.

Note that all of the above was dictated.

Thread Information