Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on Wrists & Hands: A Vent

Update on Wrists & Hands: A Vent

The saga never ends with me: I hurt my right wrist again when I went back to Michigan in early October to help my elderly mom get ready to move. I spent a week with her going through her drawers, and closets and kitchen and donating stuff to various entities around Ann Arbor. I did a stupid thing and decided I would be able to lift an old particle board rolling TV cart (the kind from Walmart) into her trunk and knew right away that I did something to my right wrist (the one that had the ulna-shortening osteotomy back in October 2019). I slapped a wrist brace on it and came back to New Mexico and went on with things.

It has been sore but I thought it was on the way to healing until I received a rare jewelry commission for two sterling bangle bracelets, ones that require a lot of pounding with various hammers. By the time I was finished with that part of the process I couldn't even lift the hammer any more. I managed to finish the job over several weeks (thank goodness there wasn't a deadline on them).

Also, while I was in Michigan I started noticing a lump in the palm of the right hand under the ring finger that started growing; now I have another lump under the base of my middle finger, and a few new lumps in the left palm. I went to Google and right away wondered if I had the start of Duputreyne's Disease, which is a thickening of the skin under the palms, which in severe cases can cause your fingers to contract and bend in towards the palm. So I went in to see my hand surgeon and she confirmed the Duputreyne's diagnosis (I'm in the very early stages of it, and the progression is different for everyone) but the immediate concern is that I possibly tore some cartilage between my wrist and hand. So, another MRI for the right wrist and since I am already scheduled for surgery on December 15th to remove the titanium plate, she can also go in a fix the tear.

So, my hands are going to be out of commission for awhile, AGAIN....I haven't been playing much guitar lately; between knitting and making the sterling bangles and just general daily tasks, my hands and wrists hurt, all the time. Last night I really, really wanted to play my guitar and managed about 30 minutes before I made myself put it away; today I am paying for it dearly. But I can type, albeit slowly with lots of mistakes, at least.

I am trying to practice acceptance of the reality that my hands are just very beat up and will probably continue to cause me difficulty and that more and more I will have to modify my life going forward. It may mean retiring from silversmithing sooner than I would have liked. Right now I have enough stock already made because of various galleries I was in closed.

(((SiouzQ))) Sending prayers your way.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Well, that stinks. I hope you can find a way to continue your art.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I'm sorry for what you are going through. I second what Beckyliz said. You are so very talented and it's a shame you are having so many issues with your hands and wrists.

I'm so so sorry to hear that, SiouzQ. What a total bummer. I know nothing about silversmithing (or much else lol) but I'm wondering if in future you could take on an apprentice - a local art student, etc? who would be willing to help out with some of the roughing out of your design work, in trade for said hands on experience, saving your strength for design/detail work? PLEASE feel free to ignore any/all, I know you were not asking for suggestions... regardless, you have my best wishes for your recovery from your upcoming surgery and I hope the Duputreyne's holds off for a long time!

Could you do the designs for silversmiths sort of like an architect for a house but sure hope that you can continue your life with some joy not limited by pain.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am so sorry. Hugs.

Could you turn, for the time being, to some art form that's easier on your fingers like painting or collage? Even digital art might be satisfying and provide inspiration while you heal. Being physically limited is frustrating; it really colors your daily life.

So sorry to hear.

Yppej
    I'm sorry you are in such neverending pain. Can you use voice recognition instead of typing?

Thread Information