Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opposing viewpoints

IL, I mostly agree with what you said except I wouldn’t want to live with someone that wasn’t taking any virus precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, I mostly agree with what you said except I wouldn’t want to live with someone that wasn’t taking any virus precautions.
    Well of course I wouldn’t “want” to either. In my real world since we have two houses I probably wouldn’t have to either.

It sounds horrible. No I'm with a Sander's supporter, not a Trump supporter, so glad. I wonder what makes the conspiracy theorists tick, I mean in a few cases just age onset dementia maybe, well not much anyone can do about that, but assuming their brain is otherwise functional. Young people who get into whatever I might understand, they lack years of trying to make some sense of the world, but those who have been around the block a few times already ... maybe they never thought much about issues before and thus are like young people in that regard? Everyone gets influenced by media etc., it's a risk, but by no means does everyone go fully down the rabbit hole.

If you wanted to "deprogram" well I might try to find some other shared activity to do together, maybe reading books together so you had something else to think about, but even taking walks might do some good?

Some liberals may have alienated many [angry?] white males and others with identity politics taken to extremes which are also outright ridiculous to many. I'm no fan. But it's a grand canyon between that and the virus positives are fake, but I suppose some can be led there. Most white women also voted for Trump :\
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Catherine, I’m glad your husband is taking the virus seriously because it probably would knock him on his ass.

I do have to ask, what happened to the BIL? Where Did BIL land? If you tell me then I’ll give you an update on DH’s family farm situation. They were in court last month. It’s not pretty.
    So, the last time I saw BIL was during my DD's wedding weekend. I hadn't seen him since he left for San Diego. I felt bad because I didn't get a chance to really have a good conversation with him. But he's still acting like BIL. He worked all summer at a golf course in New Jersey. When he came from San Diego he got a room at a Days Inn. I figured that would be a temporary arrangement. I never heard from him all summer long--now and then I'd send a text: "How's it going?" and he'd say "fine".

At the wedding he told me he's STILL in the Days Inn!!! He pays $2200 a month to live in one room. WHY he didn't look for some kind of a better situation I don't know.. but then I do know. Someone would have had to walk him by the hand to a better place.

I texted him a couple of weeks ago asking him what he's doing this winter and he never answered me. Kind of strange. But I don't feel like he really had a good time at the wedding. I feel he's really feeling distant from us at this point.

As much as I'm glad he's not crying on our doorstep, I feel bad that we don't talk at all.. he's really a funny guy (sense-of-humor-wise) and kind of fun to talk to... and I hope he's doing OK.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    well this is a perfect topic where, when I think about who to vilify for their thoughts ��, I divide points of view into those that are reasonable and those that are crank. There are points of view that are reasonable that are not mine. Yes! In my world that is possible, a reasonable opinion that I don’t share.

So for example, I think a reasonable point of view is grave concern about what lockdowns are doing to our society in areas of education, healthcare, employment, economy, and mental health. Expressing that view as a dominant concern seems reasonable to me.

On the flipside, expressing grave concern about the virus completely as a health issue is reasonable to me too. Because it *IS*a health issue.

These are fringe opinions:

*China purposely spread this into the world,

*The virus will disappear when Biden is elected/ media conspiracy to get Biden elected

*Government of any size controlling our behavior in any way for the health of the populace is wrong

I don’t know anyone who espouses the crank opinions as their sole opinion they are 100% invested in. I doubt that any of you do either. I think in the world of discussion, the “other side quote is demonized by oversimplifying their point of view.

i’d also like to add that regardless of what someone thinks about the virus, one can still live with a partner who treats his own health casually. It’s entirely possible because I’ve heard about it that when a partner goes out and about in normal business even though he knows it’s a serious health problem.
    I think it is fine to see both sides but at some point you need to take a stand on what matters more. Wishy-washy people are not appreciated. I, personally, would rather a person tell me what they think. I get rid of wishy-washy people in my life. Based on experience, they are not "true" friends.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    It sounds horrible. No I'm with a Sander's supporter, not a Trump supporter, so glad. I wonder what makes the conspiracy theorists tick, I mean in a few cases just age onset dementia maybe, well not much anyone can do about that, but assuming their brain is otherwise functional. Young people who get into whatever I might understand, they lack years of trying to make some sense of the world, but those who have been around the block a few times already ... maybe they never thought much about issues before and thus are like young people in that regard? Everyone gets influenced by media etc., it's a risk, but by no means does everyone go fully down the rabbit hole.

If you wanted to "deprogram" well I might try to find some other shared activity to do together, maybe reading books together so you had something else to think about, but even taking walks might do some good?

Some liberals may have alienated many [angry?] white males and others with identity politics taken to extremes which are also outright ridiculous to many. I'm no fan. But it's a grand canyon between that and the virus positives are fake, but I suppose some can be led there. Most white women also voted for Trump :\

Mostly uneducated white woman.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Mostly uneducated white woman.
    As I’ve said many times here, three white women I know are as much/more educated and have a higher IQ than I do are Trump supporters. Actually four, as I think about it.

They are fairly close friends in terms of who I’ve seen socially in the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I think it is fine to see both sides but at some point you need to take a stand on what matters more. Wishy-washy people are not appreciated. I, personally, would rather a person tell me what they think. I get rid of wishy-washy people in my life. Based on experience, they are not "true" friends.
    I think your “take a stand” looks a whole lot like my “black-and-white thinking.” There are very few things in life that are not nuanced. The Covid lifestyle has dozens of choices that are somewhere on the continuum of Covid safety.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So, the last time I saw BIL was during my DD's wedding weekend. I hadn't seen him since he left for San Diego. I felt bad because I didn't get a chance to really have a good conversation with him. But he's still acting like BIL. He worked all summer at a golf course in New Jersey. When he came from San Diego he got a room at a Days Inn. I figured that would be a temporary arrangement. I never heard from him all summer long--now and then I'd send a text: "How's it going?" and he'd say "fine".

At the wedding he told me he's STILL in the Days Inn!!! He pays $2200 a month to live in one room. WHY he didn't look for some kind of a better situation I don't know.. but then I do know. Someone would have had to walk him by the hand to a better place.

I texted him a couple of weeks ago asking him what he's doing this winter and he never answered me. Kind of strange. But I don't feel like he really had a good time at the wedding. I feel he's really feeling distant from us at this point.

As much as I'm glad he's not crying on our doorstep, I feel bad that we don't talk at all.. he's really a funny guy (sense-of-humor-wise) and kind of fun to talk to... and I hope he's doing OK.
    Ok my turn: DH’s sister will not sign off on any plan of action for their father’s ( now their) farm because she feels hurt, screwed over, left out, etc.

At one time her siblings were going to buy her out because that’s what she wanted but they were unable to agree on a price. She wants a high price they offer a lower price. Her price comes from a generic valuation of county farmland that she gets on the Internet, 18 months old. Their price comes recent appraisals by two qualified Farm appraisers.

Sending her the written appraisals doesn’t change her mind.

So since that seems to be impossible they started movement to include her in the business, the family farm. She took siblings to court because she wants answers to questions about the estate, still unsettled due to her not signing anything.

Even though she already got answers, she’s paying an attorney to take them to court. So when they went to court she asked her list of questions she got the same answers under oath that she got six months prior.

It will drag on many more months and will cost the estate attorney fees and will cost her attorney fees and that won’t get her anything but whatever. These things have to play out in their own time.

In one case, a case of a $600 purchase, she has legitimate gripe. That is $600 against a $2 million estate. They’ve already easily spent $600 on attorney fee.

I’m starting to think that everyone should sell all assets at a ripe old age and place the proceeds in separate trusts for each child, with the option of using cash from each trust for any bills during their last few years.

Thread Information