Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Long-term economics of the pandemic

When I tried on bras at a lingerie shop recently, I was told that each one that I tried on would be kept separate for 72 hours to prevent Covid concerns. Large department stores don't do that, do they?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

wrong thread

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    When I tried on bras at a lingerie shop recently, I was told that each one that I tried on would be kept separate for 72 hours to prevent Covid concerns. Large department stores don't do that, do they?
    Macy's was doing 24 hours in some states, I don't know if they still are.

I believe the global pandemic has triggered an economic recession.

Sectors such as bars and restaurants, amusement parks, cruise lines, airlines, lodging, etc. are on "life support". I am sure there are many other sectors in peril of bankruptcy. Landlords of shopping centers and malls, entertainment venues, and office buildings are reportedly still able to collect most of the rent. I suppose that in the USA "government bailouts" have enabled this. Commercial Mortgage Backed Securities (mainly owned by pension funds and insurance companies) could quickly become worthless without a renewal of bottomless government bailouts.

These are hard times. We must nurture and support each other, as best we can. I intend to buy local whenever I can. But I also feel a need to grow my own whenever I can, because I expect higher prices in the future. New shoots of economic vitality will appear... that's where the greatest employment opportunity will be seized by our children and grand-children.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And being employed, for which I bet they're thankful--as I am for not having to go out and forage for groceries. Win-win.
    And, again, this is the divide I was referring to. Yes, grateful to have a job! Running through a warehouse 8 hours straight at minimum wage, with other workers who have been who-knows-where, to provide the goods for folks staying in-house so they don't have to go out and "forage". (part sarcasm, part honest frustration)

This is not a "they"... this is ME!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

And, again, this is the divide I was referring to. Yes, grateful to have a job! Running through a warehouse 8 hours straight at minimum wage, with other workers who have been who-knows-where, to provide the goods for folks staying in-house so they don't have to go out and "forage". (part sarcasm, part honest frustration)
    so we should go to the store instead? I recently bought a "tea ball" at bed, bath and beyond from the website. One can argue how necessary that is, probably MUCH LESS so than a salad spinner! should I have gone to the store? But they don't have the one I wanted at the local store nor did the manufacturer (that's the thing if stores want us to shop at them maybe they should *do better* because they have become more and more disappointing). I admit I'm picky with purchases. How many miles should I have drove to find a store that does? Or wait until the pandemic is over? Well like most I have lost most hope the end is anywhere in sight. Is the idea that we should shop retail as retail workers are so much better treated. Are they really though?

What seems like foraging is thrifting, because the likelihood of the thrifts having things except for a few things is always low, so I could forage for week after week there, which I have done for low priority things before, but somehow thrifting in a pandemic just has no appeal at all.
    Trees don't grow on money

I had thought early in the crisis that we were destined for a major recession or depression, but now I'm not so sure. A large portion of the working class has managed work arounds and ways to stay gainfully employed. Money that they might have spend in restaurants, luxury vacations and other service industry jobs is now being spent on new economies. Digital commerce, new appliances, and things like bike shops routinely in the news as being sold out of much of their inventory. Real estate was already sky high and is now even higher. No doubt there is new unemployment and people suffering financially, but it's nothing like the financial crisis. At least yet.

I had thought early in the crisis that we were destined for a major recession or depression, but now I'm not so sure. A large portion of the working class has managed work arounds and ways to stay gainfully employed. Money that they might have spend in restaurants, luxury vacations and other service industry jobs is now being spent on new economies. Digital commerce, new appliances, and things like bike shops routinely in the news as being sold out of much of their inventory. Real estate was already sky high and is now even higher. No doubt there is new unemployment and people suffering financially, but it's nothing like the financial crisis. At least yet.
    yea I agree, I thought most restaurants would be closed by fall. Not at all, a few restaurants closed though, one I liked a lot, whether the restaurants doing take out and outdoor dining here are profitable I don't know. I thought we'd be seeing an economic ghost town, with lots of boarded up shops, it's possible we still might and it's delayed. That's just retail though but it's doing better than I would have thought. But one big problem is all that unpaid rent from eviction moratoriums.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Now trying on clothes doesn't really seem unsafe to me. I would think a fitting room would be about the safest place in the store.
    Small, confined space where masks surely were taken off......

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post

This is not a "they"... this is ME!
    In a pandemic, we want to minimize hordes of people out milling around, not to mention that packing and delivery of consumables has to be more efficient than the alternative. Although I was once an enthusiastic shopper, infirmity and COVID have rendered me an equally enthusiastic booster of home delivery. People working at these essential jobs should be paid and treated well, certainly. Eventually their jobs are likely to be automated.

ETA: I've worked more jobs than I like to think about that required me walking all day, so I can relate. I'm glad that part of my life is over.

Thread Information