Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Long-term economics of the pandemic

I've read there's a movement away from brick and mortar offices; the pandemic experience has proved telecommuting works.
    That move should have happened years ago, IMO.

They have let us know in no uncertain terms they want us back in the office. If they don't bring us all back 40 hours quite yet, it is solely because they do grasp the reality of the pandemic as an actual health crisis, that's the reason, and the only reason. It's a good reason.

I do realize I'm lucky, I could be working somewhere the owner thought the whole pandemic was a hoax or any number of things, luck of the draw.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't think that's a long term change of the pandemic or is something that is CURRENTLY "underway". I think that divide LONG preexisted the pandemic and that most everyone was aware of it. It just made those with an office job who already knew they were lucky to have an office job, thank the stars again that they had one IF they were among the office workers allowed to work from home (this is not all offices and never was). I do think it exposed some to more risks than others, so there could be long term health fallouts in those who got covid and THAT is a direct result of the pandemic.

In what world is everyone going to delivery? Maybe in the first month. But not now here. The store parking lots are fairly crowded and not just groceries. Is the issue that some elderly people have gone to delivery? Sigh. They aren't even seeing doctors for necessary doctor visits at this point, such is the level of fear out there. It's very sad.

But the thing about going to the store instead is it's very rarely just going to *a* store unless it's the type of store you go to all the time (groceries), it's going to 5 stores and wandering around for long periods trying to find things, to finally find what you want, so yea buying online does seem more prudent.
    Here we are told not to come in unless it is a dire emergency. I had a prescription ok'd that normally I would have to have a blood test check to get. My last blood test was March 2019. A neighbor was told not to come to the clinic for a flu shot. Go to Walgreens or somewhere else.

Yes - this pandemic is really showing us the divide between those who can work from home and those who can’t. It isn’t along educational lines. Think of all the highly educated healthcare providers who can’t work from home, the highly educated educators, etc ...

The divide is not along educational nor income lines. This is a new divide.

Yes - this pandemic is really showing us the divide between those who can work from home and those who can’t. It isn’t along educational lines. Think of all the highly educated healthcare providers who can’t work from home, the highly educated educators, etc ...

The divide is not along educational nor income lines. This is a new divide.
    that I'll believe. SEVERE class divides are nothing new. I had a friend I used to hike with 7-8 years ago, moved here for a man and he was supporting her, used to earn a living in another state doing odd jobs like being a maid, asked me "how does the working class ever make it here? How can they afford to live, it costs too much". Yea I don't know.

But nurses and other health professionals earn good incomes. But they have been much more at risk of covid.

My bf earns an income that most would consider a high income (he only recently got a job that high paid though), but his office has forced him in, mine hasn't. And now there is a an employee with covid.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

My former employer had already embraced WFH in a big way as a nod to work-life balance as a tool to attract and retain top talent. They have had everyone working from home throughout the pandemic and employees were even permitted to order chairs and other equipment so their home work setups would be ergonomically sound. I feel that post-pandemic, WFH will be even more of a thing because employees love it and companies can save on real estate costs. My employer was already starting to explore flexible workplace setups where people would not have their own personal workstations (this was in 2017). This would allow them to shrink their real estate needs. As they pointed out, employees were saving money on commuting and work clothing, so the company was looking to capture some savings as well. Of course, there would currently be some virus transmission concerns about the non-dedicated workstations, but hopefully this will go away at some point. Of course, not all employers will be as receptive to WFH as a new normal.
    Tammy is right about this being a new divide. My husband and sister work in hospitals, so no WFH for them.

There will always be people who need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future.

Our hospital is gradually (it takes years in large bureaucracies) transitioning to a hoteling concept for offices. No one has their own office - everyone grabs a cubicle based on their work location that day. because I moved into management in 2017, I was on the cusp of this change. In one of our locations I had a shared office space. Tiny office with two work stations that 4 managers shared when they were in that building. In our other 2 locations I had no dedicated office. I just grabbed whatever space was empty that day. This was not exactly planned - it was the result of growing too fast and not having enough space.

So I made my laptop my “office” and 99% of what I did was digital instead of paper. Other managers had big offices with lots of filing cabinets etc. I enjoyed being part of the new way, and often referred to my laptop bag as my “office” when people questioned me.

It was easier than requesting an office through the committee that allocated space. And it was in line with the new hoteling concept.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Things are getting worse in my neighborhood. So many layoffs, so much uncertainty. I'm realizing more and more each day how lucky I am to be employed. So many laid off hotel, restaurant, retail, airport, catering folks - what are all these people going to do in this age of increasing automation?

I am a big believer that we need more stimulus BUT we don't get to do what I did with the money from the IRS last Spring - I saved it. I'm thinking give us all 4K BUT we have to upload/provide receipts and SPEND it. I don't personally see the face to face economy coming back soon or ever quite as strong again AND I believe more automation and algorythms are coming.

I guess I can summarize: The past economy is not coming back, the status quo has snapped, now what? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I am a big believer that we need more stimulus BUT we don't get to do what I did with the money from the IRS last Spring - I saved it. I'm thinking give us all 4K BUT we have to upload/provide receipts and SPEND it. I don't personally see the face to face economy coming back soon or ever quite as strong again AND I believe more automation and algorythms are coming.

I guess I can summarize: The past economy is not coming back, the status quo has snapped, now what? Rob
    Interesting: so is the stimulus meant to circulate money back into the economy or to make people more secure individually? I personally don't see any reason not to save it if you can. It will eventually stream back into the economy once the economy itself feels safe enough to participate in as consumers again.

As liberal as I am, I think putting conditions on a stimulus check would be a logistical nightmare at best and Government overreach at worst (send the Feds your receipts?? Really?).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information