Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Long-term economics of the pandemic

Timely... my son just texted me to say that his restaurant his closing as of tonight. I'm so sad for them. These are the people that bought the restaurant 3 weeks before the March lock-down. Talk about bad luck. They're very young, too. Early 30s with young families.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The bad news overall is that the economic scars of the pandemic are not only likely to linger for years but also exacerbate the decades-long trend of rising income inequality.
    I think this is one of the big ones. I feel like there are many, many opportunities for making things better and keeping people employed - programs like the CCC of the 1930s. But due to political divisions, they probably would never get off the ground. Realistically, I think corporations will continue to rule since they have had the financial power and political flout to stay afloat. I wonder a lot about the world we are leaving our grandchildren.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I think in a way WE'VE ALL GOTTEN LAZIER! . Now I want my stuff to come to me...
    This is partly what I was trying to allude to in my previous post. Folks want there stuff to come to them, but it takes other people to get up and out to do that for them. Grocery deliveries, Amazon orders, online orders of any kind, really - whether direct from the manufacturer or thru a 3rd party... there are people getting up and going out to work in those warehouses, load the packages, deliver the packages, etc.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    This is partly what I was trying to allude to in my previous post. Folks want there stuff to come to them, but it takes other people to get up and out to do that for them. Grocery deliveries, Amazon orders, online orders of any kind, really - whether direct from the manufacturer or thru a 3rd party... there are people getting up and going out to work in those warehouses, load the packages, deliver the packages, etc.
    And being employed, for which I bet they're thankful--as I am for not having to go out and forage for groceries. Win-win.

yea for months I bought nothing (eh but tp, masks,yea food at the grocery store) out of consideration for those workers, I wanted to STOP THE ECONOMY, and deal with the pandemic first, even if it took until early fall at worst. Okay, that might be my position, but it is not the position of the Powers That Be, and it is fundamentally a social and government decision not a me decision, New Zealand that was a government choice, it wasn't an individual choice.

Months upon months in and I'm not going to keep taking personal responsibility for a pandemic the government outright refuses to solve (other than I go nowhere almost and yes I wear a mask, and I keep distance). They have all the actual power. And anyway a year of buying nothing (and we're heading toward a year) and every business just goes under anyway, pretty soon even all the places I like to buy clothes go under etc. and I don't even have anywhere I want to buy clothes when it all ends and clothes are actually something I will need in the future. I've bought less than usual I suppose, amazing how long clothes can actually last because there are only a few things you are comfortable buying online. There would be people going to work if I bought clothes in person too but nah I don't think trying on clothes feels remotely safe.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Timely... my son just texted me to say that his restaurant his closing as of tonight. I'm so sad for them. These are the people that bought the restaurant 3 weeks before the March lock-down. Talk about bad luck. They're very young, too. Early 30s with young families.
    That's so sad, Catherine? Are they closing for good?
    Interestingly, I was just reading that 3 new restaurants opened in Newburyport, MA this summer. I wonder how they will fare.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    yea for months I bought nothing (eh but tp, masks,yea food at the grocery store) out of consideration for those workers, I wanted to STOP THE ECONOMY, and deal with the pandemic first. Okay, that might be my position, but it is not the position of the Powers That Be, and it is fundamentally a social and government decision not a me decision, New Zealand that was a government choice, it wasn't an individual choice.

Months upon months in and I'm not going to keep taking personal responsibility for a pandemic the government outright refuses to solve (other than I go nowhere almost and yes I wear a mask, and I keep distance). They have all the actual power afterall. And anyway a year of buying nothing and every business just goes under anyway, pretty soon even all the places I like to buy clothes go under etc. and I don't even have anywhere I want to buy clothes when it all ends and clothes are actually something I will need in the future. I've bought less than usual I suppose, amazing how long clothes can actually last because there are only a few things you are comfortable buying online. There would be people going to work if I bought clothes in person too but nah I don't think trying on clothes feels remotely safe.
    Now trying on clothes doesn't really seem unsafe to me. I would think a fitting room would be about the safest place in the store.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And being employed, for which I bet they're thankful--as I am for not having to go out and forage for groceries. Win-win.
    The lines aren't that clear. I think it would be a lot more understandable if we had two classes of people:

1. Low Risk who go out and work and get hazard pay
    2. High risk who stay home, don't have guests only household members in their homes, and only leave their property to go to isolated places like deserted hiking trips where no one else is around, or to go to emergency medical appointments

Instead we have:

High risk people working who should be home collecting unemployment

People working outside the home not getting hazard pay, some having hours or pay cuts, and being criticized if they find it difficult to wear a mask 8 hours a day, criticism in many cases coming from people privileged enough to work from home or who are retired and don't have to work

Low risk people not being matched with jobs, but for months being able to collect more from unemployment than from working

High risk people who have the luxury to stay home going out unnecessarily, not availing themselves of free delivery services, hosting social gatherings, and crying discrimination if anyone suggests they adjust their behavior since they are high risk

Now trying on clothes doesn't really seem unsafe to me. I would think a fitting room would be about the safest place in the store
    but what about shirts especially, you have to pull them over your face, other people have pulled them over their face - maybe touched their mouth or nose.

High and low risk would require everyone know everyone else's health conditions, does anyone even want that to work? Oh x can't come to the office she's a cancer survivor - bet you didn't know that (!), oh y can't come to the office he has diabetes weren't you aware? Mr z though is a perfect physical specimen as far as anyone can tell, he's at his desk now.

Thread Information