Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ACB Hearings

ACB Hearings

I see Portlanders are celebrating Columbus Day by knocking down statues and smashing storefronts. The rest of the country is commencing the case for and against Judge Barrett’s appointment to the SCOTUS. The first day is traditionally the silliest, with some of the weirdest sound bites. With the Biden team insisting voters don’t have the right to know their position on court packing, this may give us the best indication of whether the Democrats can get themselves outraged enough to attempt it. They seem to have backed away from attacking her as a mackerel-snapping Left Footer in favor of the usual wild surmises about the new dark age she wants to impose.

I don’t understand why the republicans are even bothering with a hearing. Talk about a waste of time. It’s not as though any of them will actually make a decision about her confirmation based on what she says.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I don’t understand why the republicans are even bothering with a hearing. Talk about a waste of time. It’s not as though any of them will actually make a decision about her confirmation based on what she says.
    Unlike the thoughtful and reflective Democrats?

I see there's a dozen or so Handmaid's Tale cosplayers kneeling on the Supreme Court steps this morning.

It’s not as though any of them will actually make a decision about her confirmation based on what she says.
    I think that observation works even better on the Democratic side of the hearings. We all know she's going to be confirmed just as we all know the Democrats will use the hearings to destroy her if possible and make every effort to stain her character based upon nothing more than politics if not. I find it horrifying and yet entertaining at the same time.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It's a shame that the court has become completely politicized. RBG was confirmed with something like 96 votes. Some sort of reform needs to take place because a supreme court that is just another political tool is not an actual judicial system in any meaningful way.

I think term limits are the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I see Portlanders are celebrating Columbus Day by knocking down statues and smashing storefronts. The rest of the country is commencing the case for and against Judge Barrett’s appointment to the SCOTUS. The first day is traditionally the silliest, with some of the weirdest sound bites. With the Biden team insisting voters don’t have the right to know their position on court packing, this may give us the best indication of whether the Democrats can get themselves outraged enough to attempt it. They seem to have backed away from attacking her as a mackerel-snapping Left Footer in favor of the usual wild surmises about the new dark age she wants to impose.
    Laughable... court packing... that is what the republicans are doing.

The right-wing Judicial Crisis Network has spent $27 million in dark money to block President Barack Obama's 2016 Supreme Court nominee, only to turn around and spend millions ushering Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh through their confirmation process, reported The Daily Poster.

JCN will now spend at least $10 million to promote the also controversial nomination of Amy Coney Barrett to replace the recently deceased Ruth Bader Ginsburg just weeks before the presidential election. Republican hypocrites!

ETA.. Actually during the election process....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I see there's a dozen or so Handmaid's Tale cosplayers kneeling on the Supreme Court steps this morning.

I think that observation works even better on the Democratic side of the hearings. We all know she's going to be confirmed just as we all know the Democrats will use the hearings to destroy her if possible and make every effort to stain her character based upon nothing more than politics if not. I find it horrifying and yet entertaining at the same time.[/COLOR]
    You need to listen to what she is spouting and what her previous records are. I agree with LDAHL in that there needs to be term limits.

BTW.. She actually was called a handmaid by People of Praise. Reading about this group is disturbing.

Imagine the freak out and scrutiny that would be happening if she were in a fringe Muslim group instead of a fringe catholic group.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Imagine the freak out and scrutiny that would be happening if she were in a fringe Muslim group instead of a fringe catholic group.
    I doubt we’d be hearing much from the opposition. Some forms of bigotry seem more acceptable than others.

Thread Information