Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Long-term economics of the pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Now trying on clothes doesn't really seem unsafe to me. I would think a fitting room would be about the safest place in the store.
    I don't consider a dressing room any more unsafe than the rest of the store, but I can't remember the last time I actually was in a dressing room. It was probably a year or so ago. If I were compelled to buy something I needed to try on today, I would do it without too many concerns. But I buy clothes online mostly, so no need for dressing rooms.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

"In a pandemic", yes, things should change, but if I'm not mistaken this thread is about what people think long term changes will be. Again, I refer back to my initial post here - "I think a divide - socially and economically - is currently underway and widening."
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    "In a pandemic", yes, things should change, but if I'm not mistaken this thread is about what people think long term changes will be. Again, I refer back to my initial post here - "I think a divide - socially and economically - is currently underway and widening."
    I agree, Happystuff, and I am sorry that your job involves being at risk for Covid. That is very hard.

It bothers me that we've been told the answer is to order groceries online or restaurant takeout, as though those essential workers are not being exposed to risk. It has seemed very elitist to me from the start, although I'm sure the workplaces are working hard to try to protect the workers against Covid, or at least I hope they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I agree, Happystuff, and I am sorry that your job involves being at risk for Covid. That is very hard.

It bothers me that we've been told the answer is to order groceries online or restaurant takeout, as though those essential workers are not being exposed to risk. It has seemed very elitist to me from the start, although I'm sure the workplaces are working hard to try to protect the workers against Covid, or at least I hope they are.
    Could you explain how home delivery puts more essential workers at risk than in-person shopping does? Maybe I'm denser than usual this morning, but I don't see it. I don't think anyone is denying that being employed in an essential service exposes people to more risk than being at home does.

No, Jane, I was saying not that home delivery puts more essential workers at risk, but that the solution to have everyone go to delivery seemed to ignore the risk to the delivery workers.

I would think the main risk to drivers is at the warehouse, which should have strict guidelines in place to protect its workers. Hypothetically--with the typical no-contact protocol--I'd much rather be out driving around during a pandemic than standing in front of an endless stream of potential vectors.

I don't think that's a long term change of the pandemic or is something that is CURRENTLY "underway". I think that divide LONG preexisted the pandemic and that most everyone was aware of it. It just made those with an office job who already knew they were lucky to have an office job, thank the stars again that they had one IF they were among the office workers allowed to work from home (this is not all offices and never was). I do think it exposed some to more risks than others, so there could be long term health fallouts in those who got covid and THAT is a direct result of the pandemic.

but that the solution to have everyone go to delivery seemed to ignore the risk to the delivery workers
    In what world is everyone going to delivery? Maybe in the first month. But not now here. The store parking lots are fairly crowded and not just groceries. Is the issue that some elderly people have gone to delivery? Sigh. They aren't even seeing doctors for necessary doctor visits at this point, such is the level of fear out there. It's very sad.

But the thing about going to the store instead is it's very rarely just going to *a* store unless it's the type of store you go to all the time (groceries), it's going to 5 stores and wandering around for long periods trying to find things, to finally find what you want, so yea buying online does seem more prudent.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I would think the main risk to drivers is at the warehouse, which should have strict guidelines in place to protect its workers. Hypothetically--with the typical no-contact protocol--I'd much rather be out driving around during a pandemic than standing in front of an endless stream of potential vectors.
    There are more people who come in contact with those groceries being home delivered than just drivers. Those items are being picked off the store shelves after being packed somewhere, transported to the store, unloaded and moved around by one or more people before finally heading out to be physically put on the store shelves, where in-store shoppers may be passing them (within inches), touching them, etc. and the "picker" filling the orders is touching them, if the order is double-checked by another person to assure correctness, loading into the deliver vehicle may well be another person, etc.

The process is not as clear-cut as some folks believe it to be. Any one of the workers in this chain can potentially pass on the virus as invisibly as walking through the grocery store, itself. Yes, the home delivery system is safer for those staying in their homes receiving these deliveries to their doors - that is not the point I'm discussing here.

And, just a reminder, it might be prudent to continue to wipe down these items before bringing them into your home. They've come a long way.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't think that's a long term change of the pandemic. I think that divide LONG preexisted the pandemic. I do think it exposed some to more risks than others, so there could be long term health fallouts in those who got covid and that's a result of the pandemic.

In what world is everyone going to delivery? Not here. The store parking lots are fairly crowded and not just groceries. Is the issue that some elderly people have gone to delivery? Sigh. They aren't even seeing doctors for necessary doctor visits at this point, such is the level of fear there.

But the thing about going to the store instead is it's very rarely just going to a store, it's going to 5 stores to finally find what you want, so yea buying online does seem more prudent.
    You are missing the point I've been trying to make, so maybe the fault is mine, but in doing so, you are actually giving examples supporting the divide I'm talking about. Thanks.

I have been shopping online for years so no real change for me. It lets me browse different stores without driving around. The only exception is groceries and pants. No matter how you shop people have to be involved as workers. I know some robots are used also.

Thread Information