Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting Co-living situation

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Communal living? Not for me. I have lived in dorms and barracks, and didn’t especially enjoy the experience. I didn’t even like dealing with a condo owners’ association. From what I’ve seen of it, I wouldn’t like living in a prison, monastery, assisted living facility or trailer park either.

I’m selfish about my privacy, and not particularly interested in some busybodies’ paradise, with all the attached rules and obligations. I have to really love the people I’m living with. Some people are made that way, but (and it may reflect badly on me) I’m not. As long as I can manage it, I will be master of my domain.
    I think I'm with you. One of my sons is just like my DH--that is to say, extremely gregarious and outgoing. He's convinced that I'm a misanthrope, simply because I say things like, "I LOVE it when my neighbors leave for the winter" or "Oh, do we HAVE to invite so-and-so for dinner? I'm just not into it."

I also find that I typically like volunteer opportunities until I learn that it involves going to meetings. My favorite volunteer activity so far has been Meals On Wheels, because I drive by myself and I hand people their meals and I'm out of there in seconds.

Of course I do enjoy DH's company and the company of my children, but that being said, I think the person I've been most envious of lately has been Thomas Merton--I learned from a podcast that he became a hermit in his later years. I could probably do that, as long as I could get a dog if I got lonely.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It was the month of June this year before I finally invited someone over to sit on my patio and have dinner with me, My only socialization of note in about three months outside of DH. Granted, I did talk to people while in the community garden. But generally speaking that with my tolerance of no socialization Dash three months. So going by that I could have I can meet with people four times a year and be content. Ha ha!

Oh wait. In those three months March through June I had several interactions with bulldog people, sitting on my patio talking about adopting dogs looking at dogs etc.

He's convinced that I'm a misanthrope,
    I can confirm that you are most definitely NOT a misanthrope. (I have met Catherine IRL)

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Communal living? Not for me. I have lived in dorms and barracks, and didn’t especially enjoy the experience. I didn’t even like dealing with a condo owners’ association. From what I’ve seen of it, I wouldn’t like living in a prison, monastery, assisted living facility or trailer park either.

I’m selfish about my privacy, and not particularly interested in some busybodies’ paradise, with all the attached rules and obligations. I have to really love the people I’m living with. Some people are made that way, but (and it may reflect badly on me) I’m not. As long as I can manage it, I will be master of my domain.
    Last winter we rented at a trailer park in TX. It was perfect. You had your own space/privacy, had things to do if you so chose to, no obligations .... sadly, not able to do now. Hopefully, next year.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I can confirm that you are most definitely NOT a misanthrope. (I have met Catherine IRL)
    haha! Thanks, herbgeek!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information