Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turkey Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Smoked salmon/lox is one of my very favorites. If I were being executed, I'd probably ask for lox & bagels with capers and red onions as my last meal.
    Funny to phrase it that way.lol I got the bagel and lox but no red onions and capers.
    When I made a trip to NY some years ago, I had a clear agenda with a priority for each - see La Traviata at the Met, a bagel and lox, a day at the Metropolitan Museum, tour harbour seeing the Statue of Liberty. Over three days I slept about 4 hours a night but did all these plus the Empire State Bldg, Museum of Natural History, MOMA and so much more. I cannot imagine all the people who had scheduled plans or have planned to visit NY and unable to do so these days. It is an amazing city.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    I would like to go to NYC for my birthday in January but it isn't looking good. For a while they were doing well there but no more. I wonder how much of a distraction it has been from governing for Andrew Cuomo to write a book praising his own leadership in the pandemic.

Got my turkey today, along with a bag of potatoes. Should be set for Thanksgiving.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Funny to phrase it that way.lol I got the bagel and lox but no red onions and capers.
    When I made a trip to NY some years ago, I had a clear agenda with a priority for each - see La Traviata at the Met, a bagel and lox, a day at the Metropolitan Museum, tour harbour seeing the Statue of Liberty. Over three days I slept about 4 hours a night but did all these plus the Empire State Bldg, Museum of Natural History, MOMA and so much more. I cannot imagine all the people who had scheduled plans or have planned to visit NY and unable to do so these days. It is an amazing city.
    That sounds like three perfect days! You really packed in a LOT!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. We don't have a smoker but I did find a very nice roasting pan on sale at Costco. Nice and large, with handles and made of steel so very lightweight. I'm thinking it will replace my heavy Pyrex casserole pans. I've taken the advice to enjoy the process and bird and am planning to make a cranberry/mushroom/apple/pecan dressing to go with it. I'll cook that separately. And sweet potatoes... yuuumm. Also picked up some fresh asparagus. For dessert: fresh fruit and nuts if we're not too stuffed. And a delicious merlot.

Instead of a roux-based gravy I'm going to put lots of chicken broth in the roasting pan, fresh sage and thyme, lemon, garlic, portabella mushrooms, the turkey neck and giblets. Plus I'm going to drape the turkey in bacon! In essence, I'm making an au jus for the turkey meat, which we like much better than gravy. I'm making lots to have leftovers.

We're skipping the mashed potatoes, bread, pies, etc... I'm thinking the stuffing doesn't freeze well so I'll probably share with friends if it comes out good. If not tasty, then it will become soup.

I'm enjoying the anticipation of cooking the meal. No guests, no pressure!

Have fun, Gella. Enjoy!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Sounds very yummy!

Sounds really good, Geila! Enjoy. My Thanksgiving menu will be turkey, mashed potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce along with the canned stuff - LOL- , homemade sourdough rolls, steamed carrots, gravy, dressing and mac 'n cheese (child wants to make). Feeding a neighbor and they contributed a pumpkin and apple pie.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Geila
    happystuff - yuumm... I love fresh bread and sourdough toasted is my fave. You cooked up a feast!

Update - the turkey was DELICIOUS! The crispy bacon and awesome sauce were great and we ate so much. Moist and tasty turkey, probably the best turkey we've had. I'm actually looking forward to cooking it again next year. I'll increase the portabellas in the sauce, they were amazing.

The dressing was also very good, this is the recipe I used: http://mrscubbisons.com/recipes/reci...&type=stuffing
    I subbed the Italian sausage meat called for in the recipe with button mushrooms and added a pear. Next time I will try with the sausage or use bacon and will chop my ingredients smaller, I left the fruit and nuts pretty big and it was a bit too chunky the first day. The second day it was just right.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Thread Information