Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    If you have a smoker, smoke it! It tastes better than bland roasted turkey.
    You betcha! I gifted myself a smoker several years ago and my first home smoked meat experiment was a turkey using apple wood smoke. Wonderful!

I have a rack of ribs going in tomorrow. Can't wait.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I don't even have a turkey yet. Was hoping to get a "free" one from the grocery store, but - good and bad - did not spend enough to get one. Went to Aldi's today and they were all out, so will probably go to my grocery store tomorrow and just pick one up. Both positive and negatives to not spending enough for a free one - lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    You betcha! I gifted myself a smoker several years ago and my first home smoked meat experiment was a turkey using apple wood smoke. Wonderful!

I have a rack of ribs going in tomorrow. Can't wait.
    Boy, that sounds great! Have you ever tried fish? I love smoked fish and wondered if it turns out well in a home smoker? If so, I may have to gift myself one too???

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I don't even have a turkey yet. Was hoping to get a "free" one from the grocery store, but - good and bad - did not spend enough to get one. Went to Aldi's today and they were all out, so will probably go to my grocery store tomorrow and just pick one up. Both positive and negatives to not spending enough for a free one - lol.
    Article in the paper yesterday that said all small turkeys are sold out because people are only having their immediate family vs large gatherings. If there are any left after Thanksgiving (and if I go into a store) I will pick one up. I love having cooked turkey or chicken in the freezer for quick meals.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Boy, that sounds great! Have you ever tried fish? I love smoked fish and wondered if it turns out well in a home smoker? If so, I may have to gift myself one too???
    I haven't tried smoked fish but I don't see why you can't do it. I have an electric smoker, chosen because I like the ease of maintaining a consistent temperature. It's a Masterbuilt and I've seen many tutorials and YouTube videos of people smoking fish in theirs.

Here's a link to an article and video about smoking trout in a smoker like mine. Smoked Trout in a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (utahoutdooractivities.com)
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I haven't tried smoked fish but I don't see why you can't do it. I have an electric smoker, chosen because I like the ease of maintaining a consistent temperature. It's a Masterbuilt and I've seen many tutorials and YouTube videos of people smoking fish in theirs.

Here's a link to an article and video about smoking trout in a smoker like mine. Smoked Trout in a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (utahoutdooractivities.com)
    We smoke our own salmon. It's fantastic! (We have a Traeger junior).

The quality and flavor of your turkey equals the effort you put in.

1. Brining adds a ton of moisture to the meat.

2. Choose the spices you love. Mix them in a cube of softened butter. Stuff some butter under the skin by tucking a few TBSP in and then run your hand over the skin to push it all the way.

3. Bag it and roast away.

4. When you prepare extra meat to be frozen, pour drippings/broth over the chopped up meat. Give yourself every opportunity to enjoy this bird.

It is so worth the effort since you're going to cook a bird, make it enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Our neighbor goes on salmon fishing trips and cold-smokes most of what he brings back in one of those horizontally-oriented charcoal-fired smokers. We are lucky enough to be among the few he favors with the finished product. Really good!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Article in the paper yesterday that said all small turkeys are sold out because people are only having their immediate family vs large gatherings. If there are any left after Thanksgiving (and if I go into a store) I will pick one up. I love having cooked turkey or chicken in the freezer for quick meals.
    One store I was at today was totally out of the sale priced turkeys. I'll go to my regular grocery store tomorrow and see what is left. I definitely want to get one and don't mind leftovers for the freezer. Making food for the elder neighbor next door as well, but will only drop off a plate as I don't want to put anyone at any possible risk.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Smoked salmon/lox is one of my very favorites. If I were being executed, I'd probably ask for lox & bagels with capers and red onions as my last meal.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information